Do you believe in time travel?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Maverick74, Oct 28, 2010.

1. There is a story about where time travel is invented. All that people can do is go forward. But when they get to the future, they are immediately put in a compound on the moon because the person from the past has diseases and inferior genetics compared to the people of the present. Its an old story and kinda depressing, I remember reading it in high school. Anyone remember this one?

#31     Oct 29, 2010
  2. Arnie

Arnie

Reference? :D

#32     Oct 29, 2010
  3. physics 101:D

#33     Oct 29, 2010
  4. bpcnabe

bpcnabe

#34     Oct 29, 2010
  5. olias

olias

i don't believe that human beings will ever manage to travel back in time. It makes about as much sense to me as reincarnation----which makes no sense at all. It seems to me that the past no longer exists. it's like trying to travel to an island that has sunk into the ocean....

Think of the implications, and the inconsistencies. Could I travel back ten years ago and kill myself? What the ramifications of that be? Come on people....that kind of time travel is not possible. I am willing to accept that space/time exists like a fabric as Einstein theorized, and that space/time is warped by gravity, but the idea that it can be warped to travel back and forth through time seems about as plausible as saying that we can fold it up like a paper airplane and live forever.

#35     Oct 29, 2010
  6. Read the article posted that was written by Hawking. Nobody is claiming time travel into the past is possible. Hawking explains exactly why in the posted article.

#36     Oct 29, 2010
  7. Time ?

Just to recap, we have managed to prove that we can slow down time. Satellites are constantly adjusted. This means if you left your watch on a satellite it would run at a different speed.

Sure there's a reason for it, and the reason will surely prove that time travel does not exist but it will explain why your watch is off.

But time is only something we perceive, you assume the future is not somewhere and it appears from this air. kinda like a UFO.

The needle on my record player thinks that music is read and created as it presented to the needle.

Tell the needle that every note ever made was pre written and in front of his nose..... He will be as shocked as you are that a needle can speak.

Price is the present, level 2 quotes is the future possibilities.

An electron goes through a single slit and becomes a wave of possibilities.

The needle of a hard drive running down a program makes choices based on the user. It can go left or right, script A or script B, when B is chosen what happens to A ? Did script A not exist ? Or did the needle just not see it ?

Just cause life is presented to you at a pace, does not mean it exists at a pace. Lifes pace is simply a measure of your processing power.

So no, I do not believe in time, I just read slow

#37     Jan 18, 2013
  8. The important question here is what are the new features of the IPhone 837S and do imbeciles still wait in line for it?

#38     Jan 18, 2013
  9. Time is on my side.

#39     Jan 19, 2013
  10. What do you mean he believes in it?

Of course under your scenario there is the problem of the time traveler's paradox (i.e. killing your grandfather) and the problem of no evidence of future beings visiting us.

Feynman dismissed time travel as impossible, btw. For practical reasons.

#40     Jan 19, 2013