Do you believe in time travel?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Maverick74, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Not incorrect. I said he "believed" in time travel. Not that he said we could go backward in time.

#11     Oct 28, 2010
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

Well some people have done some research and said it could possibly be a listening device although when they looked to see what was available back then, it was not until 1932 that there were mainstream portable devices. Even if it is a hearing aid, this person obviously is talking and appears to be talking into the device. Of course this person could just be crazy and talking to her self.

#12     Oct 28, 2010
  3. Fair enough. You stated that time travel into the past may be possible so I thought you were implying that Hawking thought that as well.

In any case - great link. Highly recommend everyone reads that.

#13     Oct 28, 2010
  4. Time travel already happened.

"Consider Sergei Krikalev, the Russian astronaut who flew six space missions. Richard Gott, a physicist at Princeton University, says Krikalev aged 1/48th of a second less than the rest of us because he orbited at very high speeds. And to age less than someone means you've jumped into the future -- you did not experience the same present. In a sense, he says, Krikalev time-traveled to the future -- and back again!"

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/05/freaky-physics-proves-parallel-universes/

#14     Oct 28, 2010
  5. Time and space are interwoven, so you can't go through one without going through the other. I would think that a person would have to find a parrell universe or another deminsion, enter that place and wait. This also assumes that the stream of time in this other place is not the same as ours. It would have to be traveling faster or slower. After a period of time the person could re-enter our universe and they would either be in the past or the future. Tough to find that door.

#15     Oct 28, 2010
  6. Its impossible to be objective while being stuck in subjective. I get a feeling about this like I do about religion. The question isn't posed, Do you believe in the possibility of time travel but do you believe in time travel as if believing in it makes it just a matter of time before it arrives like the second coming. Truth doesn't necessarily follow from Faith. You can't petition the Universe with prayer. Like religion our belief on time travel must have been
    conditioned by film. The idea that we might visit events that occured yesterday or last month or next month by traveling fast enough or through a wormhole just doesn't follow for me, esp.
    with the suspect conditioning we all underwent.

#16     Oct 28, 2010
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

That makes no sense. Stephen Hawking is an atheist and he believes in the possibility of it because of science and in particular due to Einstein's theory of relativity. With your logic there would no be point to advance anything in science because it doesn't "follow" with you.

#17     Oct 28, 2010
  8. I believe in a Truth thats independent of any demands or aspirations for it. The Universe and all the physical laws
    don't roll over on command. There just seems to be a disconnect between events recurring in technicolor and surround sound
    and the suggested ways of getting there. Maybe we surpass light speed but does it mean we can revisit yesterday with all the characters in place? I forgot to add. I'm all for science to the extent that I think it should be the worlds religion. But its about enquiry not conclusion a priori.

#18     Oct 28, 2010
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Well, now you are telling us what time travel "should" be based on the movies you have watched that have "conditioned" your brain. I don't think Hawking is making any assertion that one day we will be able to fly in a Delorean back in time with Doc to re-live the past. That is your Hollywood version. I think he is thinking on a little higher level then you are. I could be wrong.

#19     Oct 28, 2010
  10. how does anyone here even have an opinion on "time travel"..understand the math? like a moron explaining a brain tumor

#20     Oct 28, 2010