Do you Beleive in God ?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by RangeBar, Oct 16, 2009.

Do you believe in God (Creator)

1. No

15 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Yes

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  3. Maybe

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. I read an article concerning the number of Muslims in the world and the polling company intends to continue the series by polling the religious beliefs of all other groups. I see a lot of different opinions on ET from traders expressing their religious opinion and it got me thinking about the ratio of believers vs. non-believers in the trading world.

Answer the poll question above and feel free to expand on your answer as you see fit. The definition of 'God' that I am using is very broad. Specifically: God is defined as a CONSCIOUS being that created the universe.

There are no other implications such as whether or not this being answers our prayers, intervenes in our lives, provides for punishment or reward based on our actions in life, or any other criteria. Feel free to delve into those issues but they are not part of the definition of 'God'.

For my part, I am a Humanist/atheist and do not beleive in gods, devils, angels, or other supernatural beings. I also do not believe that humans can bend spoons, move objects, or set things on fire with their minds. I do not believe that anybody can see into the future or talk to the dead. People cannot communicate using telepathy and 'remote viewing' is hogwash. Nobody can levitate and nobody has ever been dead and returned to life. Finally, although I believe there is life on other planets in the universe they have never visited earth.

My worldview is based on this (generally): http://www.americanhumanist.org/Who_We_Are/About_Humanism/Humanist_Manifesto_II

One of my guiding philosophers is this guy: http://bobpark.physics.umd.edu/archives.html

Let the games begin !!!

2. Humanism is logically incompatible with atheism. If you are an atheist you are god, you make up your own morals according to your own understanding. Hitler was a true atheist in this sense because he saw fit to shape the world in his image!

3. hitler was a catholic christian.
    http://nobeliefs.com/Hitler1.htm

Hitler's Christianity

To deny the influence of Christianity on Hitler and its role in World War II, means that you must ignore history and forever bar yourself from understanding the source of German anti-Semitism and how the WWII atrocities occurred.

By using historical evidence of Hitler's and his henchmen's own words, this section aims to show how mixing religion with politics can cause conflicts, not only against religion but against government and its people. This site, in no way, condones Nazism, Neo-Nazism, fascist governments, or anti-Semitism, but instead, warns against them.

by Jim Walker

[The German words, "Gott Mit Uns" means God With Us and appeared on many Nazi soldiers belt buckles during WWII. To see the buckle, click here.]

Hitler's religious beliefs and fanaticism (quotes from Mein Kampf)
    Hitler wrote: "I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.." As a boy, Hitler attended to the Catholic church and experienced the anti-Semitic attitude of his culture. In his book, Mein Kampf, Hitler reveals himself as a fanatical believer in God and country. This text presents selected quotes from the infamous anti-Semite himself.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Christianity of Hitler revealed in his speeches and proclamations
    Hitler's own words reveal his feelings for God, Christianity and faith. Taken from speeches made by Hitler from the 1922 to 1939.

4. Humanism is NOT incompatible with atheism. Athiest do not believe we are god. Some Humanist as atheist but not all. Some atheists are Humanist but not all. A belief in god is not required to have morals. Some of us are good just for goodness's sake. The Social Contract ya know.

5. Is this an objective observation or yours?

6. Give me the definition of "atheism" you are using, and what defines one as an atheist.

7. An atheist is a person that does not believe that the universe was created by a conscious being. An extension of that is the belief that a conscious being does not guide or affect our lives for better or for worse.

Generally, an atheist does not believe that we existed before we were conceived and we do not continue to have a conscious existance after we die. This is not a requirement of course because, since we exist NOW without a god, so too could we continue to exist after our apparent 'death'. However, any kind of judgement and reward or punishment after 'death' would not be allowed in an atheist belief system because there is no 'god' to do the judging.

omegapoint asks:

"Is this an objective observation or yours?"

It is an objective observation. The definition of 'Humanism' is defined in the link provided in my original post. As you can read, there is no requirement that a Humanist believe in god. There is also no prohibition to believing in one either. Some Humanist believe in god; some don't. Freedom of religion is a cornorstone of Humanism.

The Humanist philosophy is geared to the maximization of human growth and freedom within the context of a 'community'. The Humanist Manifesto includes thoughts that are also expressed in the Bible, Torah, Koran, Confusionism, Buddahism, our Bill of Rights, Marxism and all other philiosophies put forth by humans. It attempts to re-inforce the good stuff from all of these sources and remove the bullshit.

8. kut2k2

kut2k2

My personal definition of atheism is this:

I'll believe in your god when I see it (him, her, whatever).

piezoe likes this.
  9. ====================
    RangeB;
    Like the thoughtful question on [Creator God].
    With all due respect Allah the muslim God is a false god. Thats why you have so many non thinking that blow themselves up/killing people, hoping to get to heaven that way.

Also one Chicago trader said something i never will forget;
    if you dont believe in the devil you never saw much of Chicago:cool:

10. So we agree that an atheist does not believe that the universe(s) has a creator. There is nothing more that binds atheists together.

You chose to be a humanist because humanism appeals to you for whatever reason. Another atheist may choose to be a sadist because sadism appeals to him. By saying that humanism is logically incompatible with atheism I mean that there is no connection between them -- not that an atheist can not be a humanist at the same time. (My wording was poor mea culpa.)

Atheists are their own god in the sense that they can choose whatever moral code suits them or no moral code at all. Belief that a creator does not exist that prescribes particular moral conduct frees them to do so.

#10     Oct 16, 2009