do we want to elect a man who believes he will recieve his own planet when he dies?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Aug 10, 2012.

1. ever heard of wikipedia?

According to Mormon cosmology, there was a pre-existence, better described as a pre-mortal life, in which human spirits were literal children of heavenly parents.[1] Though their spirits were created, the essential "intelligence" of these spirits is considered eternal, and without beginning. During this pre-existence, two plans were said to have been presented, one championed by Lucifer (Satan) that would have involved loss of moral agency, and another championed by God the Father. When his plan was not accepted, Lucifer is said to have rebelled and taken "the third part" of the hosts of heaven with him to the earth to serve as tempters. According to a plan of salvation as described by God the Father, Jehovah (the heavenly form of Jesus Christ according to Mormonism) created the earth, under the direction of God the Father, as a place where humanity would be tested. After the resurrection all men and women except spirits that followed Lucifer and the sons of perdition would be assigned one of three degrees of glory. Within the highest degree, the Celestial Kingdom, there are three divisions, and those in the highest of these divisions would become gods and goddesses through a process called exaltation or "eternal progression". According to some Mormon sources,[who?] this would involve having spirit children and populating new worlds.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_cosmology

In Mormonism, the concept of divinity centers around an idea of "exaltation" and "eternal progression": the idea that mortals themselves may become gods and goddesses in the afterlife, be rulers of their own heavenly kingdoms,

#11     Aug 10, 2012
  2. freefilcher strikes again eh?
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=filcher

#12     Aug 10, 2012
  3. #13     Aug 10, 2012
  4. Epic

Epic

You just proved your original post incorrect. "According to some Mormon sources" is equivalent to saying, "According to the opinion of certain Mormons".

So, "rulers of their own heavenly kingdoms" is the same thing as "receive their own planets"?

I can tell you what I know of actual Mormon doctrine, outside of opinion and speculation of individual Mormons. They believe that this life is a time to prove individual fitness for returning to the presence of God. Those who do return to God's presence (not a majority) will continue in their progression of knowledge and ability on an eternal timescale. At some indefinite point they would theoretically become similar to what God is now in terms of knowledge and ability because they would not be hindered by their mortal understanding of the universe and time, and they would be in God's presence which implies the ability to learn from God directly.

From that perspective it has been theorized by some Mormons that they would eventually be able to participate in the expansion of the universe. Whether that means assisting God in creation of additional galaxies and planets and becoming the steward over certain parts, or actually gaining the ability to form their own galaxies and become the "God" of such, falls well within the realm of philosophical speculation and has no firm basis in the accepted canon of scripture.

#14     Aug 10, 2012
  5. I think freefiltcher fits you quite aptly, enjoy your nick.

#15     Aug 10, 2012
  6. lol. enjoy your time in purgatory. it was amusing tweeking you but you have reverted to juvenile behavior that violated my standards of association. i require a certain level of maturity before i waste time on someone. even if it was just for amusement.
    10 seconds after i post this i will go flush my toilet when the turd goes out of site, you are gone forever. on ignore.

#16     Aug 10, 2012
  7. your standards of association eh?

If you wouldn't keep flinging shit at the site to see what sticks you wouldn't have a nick.

#17     Aug 10, 2012
  8. Lucrum

Lucrum

:D RCG, this is your Que to explain how cowardly it is to put others on their ignore list

#18     Aug 10, 2012
  9. Toss in 70 virgins and maybe Mormonism isn't so bad.

#19     Aug 10, 2012
  10. Since I suspect he has you on ignore, here ya go.

#20     Aug 10, 2012