Do we trade against" dumb money "or " smart money" ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by genebort, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Ditch

Ditch

If you're a loser, the smart money is taking the opposites of your trades and vice versa.

#11     Mar 28, 2003
  2. trader99

trader99

AAA,

you nailed it right in the head! I see a lot of daytraders say oh I see that big print from funds trying to buy or sell and that's dumb money and I got my .75 or $1 move on 5000 shares. Whoohoo.

It's just a matter of perspective. Large funds buy in hundreds of thousands and in some cases millions of shares. So, they can't be thinking of nickel and dimes here. The fund manager might tell his traders to get me as many shares as possible within $1-$2 today. That's the kind of "slippage" they are willing to take. And in some cases when they are "building a position" they can let it go up a few dollars and average in some more. When I was with this lage fund, they made over 500% on QCOM in 1999. QCOM went up like 1000% but getting half of the move on a few million shares is still very good money. So, what if you can't get in at exact bottom to the last penny or the top at the last penny, but if you can move than kind of shares size(a few million) over a year's period and make good returns then it's still all good.

It's all about time horizon.

#12     Mar 28, 2003
  3. It's always available 24/7

#13     Mar 28, 2003
  4. #14     Mar 28, 2003
  5. Banjo

Banjo

Jack got that off the stargate. he,he

#15     Mar 28, 2003