Do we really have a chance?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by tom_p, Oct 27, 2001.

1. Magna

Magna Administrator

Shrine Bugsby,

Welcome to Elite Trader. First post, eh. Already calling people morons for a little lite fun. I look forward to your future posts.:(

#11     Oct 27, 2001
  2. quicktrade...LOL...do you ever read what you post...LOL

#12     Oct 27, 2001
  3. tom_p

tom_p

kenstl, if your trading is like your humour (regimented and unimaginative), then you're one of the blessed lucky few. I, on the other hand, have this tendency not to accept everything at face value without personally checking the facts first, if that is at all possible. In my younger days this translated into running Monte Carlo simulations to verify or debunk blackjack cardcounting and other gambling lore. Today, if I was CEO of a large brokerage firm, I would immediately assign manpower to look into whether any advantage could be obtained trading an issue with 93% institutional ownership and where 95% of the daily volume is attributable to daytraders. Of course my information would not be localized to a particular supertrader like yourself, kenstl, but rather, thanks to my extensive contacts, I would have a real time picture of the net positions of the trading community. Could it help? I don't know, do you?

#13     Oct 28, 2001
  4. jem

jem

this subject may actually be worth thinking about. So here are some thoughts. Isn't the question of what the BBs are doing the equivalent of saying you just want a sytem that works. Consequently, shouldn't those thoughts be channelled into research. Two, if you are really looking to understand the supershort term shouldn't you be desiring to trade like an S&P scalper or at least be aware of how the succesful ones are trading. Three, who are the elusive big boys. We know Janus must be a bunch of inexperienced idiots driving up and then driving down and losing money for their shareholders. (Or did they do it on prupose based on some sort of bonus schedule that rewarded their apparent stupidity).

We know that most of Fidelity hasn't fared so well. I also know that Greenspan has had to bail out the investment banks on a few occassions. We know that most of the traders working for market makers can't make money with decimals that is why they are going to agency trading. In fact the only group of people I am aware of, currently making big money is/are the specalists. (I have read that their profits have gone up due to decimals.)

So anyway I write this to say I do not mind being a small trader because my smaller size gives me an advantage whenever I have a method that works. I do not feel many people have an advantage over me (or you).

p.s.

I do not mind being corrected if I am wrong because this is a working theory subject to correction and improvement.

#14     Oct 28, 2001
  5. Hi jem....

To everything - turn, turn, turn
    There is a season - turn, turn, turn
    And a time to every purpose under heaven

A time to be born, a time to die
    A time to plant, a time to reap
    A time to kill, a time to heal
    A time to laugh, a time to weep

A time to build up, a time to break down
    A time to dance, a time to mourn
    A time to cast away stones
    A time to gather stones together

A time of love, a time of hate
    A time of war, a time of peace
    A time you may embrace
    A time to refrain from embracing

A time to gain, a time to lose
    A time to rend, a time to sew
    A time for love, a time for hate
    A time for peace, I swear it's not too late!

May peace be with you..

i love you all.... :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

#15     Oct 28, 2001
  6. ShineBusby = TradeRX = ShortnFool = Doggy Hoser

#16     Oct 28, 2001
  7. I know quite a few people who make money doing this so you certainly do have a chance. I always assume every time I make a trade that every scheming s.o.b. in the world is trying to get my money by any means possible. Good Luck!

#17     Oct 28, 2001
  8. Magna

Magna Administrator

candle,

ShineBusby = TradeRX = ShortnFool = Doggy Hoser

Ahhh yes, and can we ever forget the other aliases that he attempts to hide behind? No time like the present to update the list and get the spelling right for those who want to use the wonderful ignore function:

tradeRX = shortnfool = Bucky Lee = Buck Naked = Doogie Hoser = Shrine Bugsby

#18     Oct 28, 2001
  9. kenstl

kenstl

there's an ignore function??? rockin! if you get a chance, please post the directions for using the ignore function immediately following the next song lyrics or otherwise inane tirade.

i don't really understand paranoia regarding the BB's. first and foremost, the BB's are primarily out to screw each other, and i find alot of comfort in that. second, those of us who are independent traders are small enough that paranoia is unwarranted. we are able to move more quickly than anyone else, and speed is key.

and finally, i personally love the imbeciles at janus and fidelity. i mean, what they are doing is the same thing the pools of the 20's used to do....only, they apparently forgot about the part where they are supposed to glide out and lock in their profits. the fact that most big-cap fidelity and janus funds (if not all of them, i don't really know the specifics of either) both own less than roughly 30 stocks is testament to this fact. i mean, who would be stupid enough to buy billions of dollars of microsoft when it is already 90%+ institution owned???? hmm...maybe it's because they lock in a percentage of profits with their management fees.

but like i said, the humor and market gyrations that these clowns provide makes life more enjoyable.

btw, i think it might be possible to predict near term market gyrations by trading based on the frequency of those retarded janus commercials - anytime you see them on prime time begging for money you know trouble's a-comin'

#19     Oct 28, 2001
  10. BSAM

BSAM

kenstl:

Just click on "your account" then "edit ignore list."

BSAM

#20     Oct 28, 2001