Do we need the Post Office?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by maxpi, Mar 28, 2010.

1. You can't compare snail mail to e-mail in that term. It's doesn't make any sense at all comparing the two when you consider cost.

Also, changing for the sake of change doesn't make sense. You will make the postal service more complicated and for what benefit? Why make the mailing system and process more complicated just to be able to do the same task? The cost and benefit just isn't there.

#31     Mar 28, 2010
  2. What's complicated about letting it go out of business if it can't generate enough revenue to cover it's operations?

#32     Mar 28, 2010
  3. That's not the complication that I was refering to.

#33     Mar 29, 2010
  4. Ricter

Ricter

When you quote him, would you mind just putting "something stupid here" in place of his actual text?

Edit: a lot of us have him ignored...

#34     Mar 29, 2010
  5. Is it safe to assume the price of a stamp will not go up and service will be improved? Or will we just be paying more and waiting longer for worse service?
    Postal Service: End Saturday delivery in 2011
    March 29, 2010 1:22 PM |

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Postal service said today it wants to end Saturday mail delivery by early next year as part of a wide-ranging plan to slash jobs, save billions of dollars and cope with the impact of declining mail volume in the Internet age.

"Given the fact that we're facing such a huge deficit, we'd like to move as quickly as possible," Postmaster General John E. Potter told a news conference.

Faced with a projected $238 billion deficit over the next decade, the Postal Service board of governors approved the cuts last week and ordered Potter to submit the proposal to the Postal Regulatory Commission on Tuesday. In addition to cutting one day a week from the delivery schedule, the proposal would eliminate the equivalent of 49,000 full and part-time jobs.

Officials said the changes would save the Postal Service a forecasted $3.3 billion in its first year and about $5.1 billion annually by 2020.

#35     Mar 29, 2010
  6. Ricter

Ricter

I think it's a good bet, Cap'n. Demand is falling, and now overhead will be falling. Also, there seems to be a trend towards centralized mailboxes for new housing construction, which cuts mileage. As for improved service, hard to tell. It's hard to beat the trade off in time for the difference in price mailing a letter, vs. couriering one. The mail service in the US is a helluva lot better than that here in Canada.

#36     Mar 29, 2010

7. Once again if some company wants to deliver letters I don't see where that's going to complicate my life too much.

If one entity can put mail in a box in my front yard , I can handle a few more adding to the same box.

Since you can't I feel sorry for you.

#37     Mar 29, 2010
  8. lot of wannbe postmen here :D

#38     Mar 29, 2010
  9. You are not even mentioning the points you quoted from me. I am not talking about your mail box. I am talking about the mail delivery box. If you want to deliver mail through...say UPS, you can't shove your mail into a Fedex mail delivery box.

I just don't get how your mind work. You get no additional benefit at the cost of higher delivery charge (result from higher cost). You just don't seem to realize that all these complications will result in higher cost.

#39     Mar 29, 2010
  10. So according to you my residential mail box is not a delivery box?

Please do explain.

#40     Mar 30, 2010