Do we need the Post Office?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by maxpi, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Wallet

Wallet

I think everyone is taking the wrong approach ..... since the USPS does not contribute to any campaign coffer, why should it be bailed out?

#21     Mar 28, 2010
  2. 2) The difference is in logistic.

3) Well, if a piece of mail is lost, I know exactly who to blame.

I don't agree or disagree with that statement about monopolies and competition. In the real world, price could be affected by many other variables, and some maybe unforeseeable. We can not make a decision based on the cost and benefit of monopoly vs. competition alone. The world is not as simple and constant as economic theories portray.

#22     Mar 28, 2010
  3. TGregg

TGregg

So it's the Confederacy for you then, eh?

:D :D :D

#23     Mar 28, 2010
  4. 2) How different can it be? letter size vs parcels and overnight legal size envelopes

I can see where it would massively confuse gubbermint workers , politicians and bed wetting liberals but not FedEx.

3) Really you have lost a piece of mail and it helped you out exactly how to know the post office was to blame?

Other than how you fwelt about it what objectively was good about it.

Besides that really is a misnomer that you would know who made the mistake.

#24     Mar 28, 2010
  5. 2) I mean how they are distributed at the street level. It's one thing for parcel service to deliver a package to you, but it's another thing when they have to deliver the daily mails to you. Their routing will be different. Their labor and gas usage will increase, because they will have to stop at every house to deliver the mail, or they have to hire a mailmen like that of the post office (you might have 3 or 4 mailmen from different companies walking and delivering mails to the same neighborhood!). As a result, the daily mails you get may cost you a lot more.

3) Because I paid for the stamp, and I put the mail in the post office mail box; I know Post Office is the place to go to if the mail is lost.

Speaking of stamps and mail box. If you have multiple mail delivery firms, there will be multiple sets of stamps (only good for that particular firm), and you'll have multiple mail boxes (probably will have 4 or 5 of them like those newspaper stands). Life will get complicated.

#25     Mar 28, 2010
  6. 2) I fail to see your narrative as a problem for the private sector delivery of letters.

3) The answer is you don't know who screwed up. A company can say they sent a letter and fail to do so, or like with the IRS in my case they lost it in house.

Knowing the USPS lost your crap does you no good unless you had the item tracked and insured. I don't know why you are pretending the USPS's monopoly makes this issue any better.

#26     Mar 28, 2010
  7. 2) if changes and the results happen in an instant, then there is really no different in post office being public or private. Unfortunately, changes and results don't happen in an instant. It takes time and money to go through the process of change. The costs of this change process, I believe, outweigh the benefit.

#27     Mar 28, 2010
  8. Private sector serviecs? They are unionized to the Max. UPS, Fex Ex. Pilots, Fleet Drivers, etc. The only reason FedEx does not have union package drivers, is because they are trying to flaunt the unions in selling off the delivery vans to "private owners." This has been challenged in many places, and FedEx will eventually lose.

And UPS, FedEx have cherry picked the business. They can do domestic and international packages, and are not stuck with having to deal with first class letters, netflix stuff, $3.99 book rate, keeping open offices in every zip code, Saturday delivery, etc.

They would have the same problems as USPS, if they had to do the same exact services.

#28     Mar 28, 2010

9. It's doesn't have to be much different than getting e-mail from more than one delivery source.

I do it everyday.

I'm sorry if it confuses you so greatly.

#29     Mar 28, 2010
  10. Good one:cool:

#30     Mar 28, 2010