Do we need another dumb ass Texan for president?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

Heck no, it's just all I can think of off the top of my head.

#11     Aug 18, 2011
  2. I think President Obama really understand his country to lead in science is to go forward.

" Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota opposes climate change legislation, saying that carbon dioxide is a "harmless gas." During a town hall meeting in South Carolina this week, she said that all the issues surrounding climate change would have to be "settled on the basis of real science, not manufactured science."

U.S. Rep. Ron Paul of Texas has called the concern about Earth's changing climate "the greatest hoax I think that has been around for many, many years, if not hundreds of years," based on the Climategate reports (see above). He's opposed to energy subsidies as well as government efforts to control greenhouse-gas emissions. "Pollution can be better taken care of under a private market system, under private property," he said.

(President Barack Obama, by the way, favors policies to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions, but the current "climate" in Congress has severely limited any progress on environmental initiatives.)

Evolution education:

Perry says he is a "firm believer in intelligent design as a matter of faith and intellect, and I believe it should be presented in schools alongside the theories of evolution." Intelligent design is the view that the complexity seen in nature is best explained as resulting from the efforts of an intelligent designer — for example, God, or an alien civilization. But in Perry's case, certainly God.

Romney said during his presidential campaign that he believes "God designed the universe" and that he believes God "used the process of evolution to create the human body." As Massachusetts governor, he opposed the teaching of intelligent design in public-school science classes. "The science class is where to teach evolution, or if there are any other scientific thoughts that need to be discussed," he told The New York Times. "If we're going to talk about more philosophical matters, like why it was created, and was there an intelligent designer behind it, that's for the religion class or philosophy class or social studies class."

Bachmann says "evolution has never been proven" and believes that intelligent design should be taught alongside the evolutionary view of biological change. "What I support is putting all science on the table and then letting students decide," Bachmann told reporters at the Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans in June.

Paul says "nobody has concrete proof" for evolutionary theory, although he acknowledges that "it's a pretty logical theory." In his view, the intelligent-design concept has more to do with personal beliefs rather than science. "In a libertarian society these beliefs aren't nearly as critical. When you have government schools, it becomes important," he said. "'Are you fair in teaching that the earth could have been created by a creator or it came out of a pop, out of nowhere?' In a personal world, we don't have government dictating and ruling all these things; it's not very important."

(Obama favors the current legal view that teaching the intelligent-design concept in public-school science classes would be unconstitutional.)

Stem-cell research:

Perry is opposed to human embryonic stem-cell research, which involves destroying human embryos to harvest the therapeutic cells. But he's a strong supporter of less controversial adult stem-cell research. In fact, he was a beneficiary of such research when he received an infusion of his own lab-grown stem cells to speed recovery from a back injury.

Romney has voiced support for embryonic stem-cell research in the past, but he says his position has changed over the years, and he now opposes such research.

Bachmann is opposed to federal funding for embryonic stem-cell research, but favors less controversial initiatives that use adult stem cells or reprogrammed cells (also known as induced pluripotent stem cells or iPS cells).

Paul says the federal government should have no jurisdiction over the conduct of embryonic stem-cell research. He has, however, sponsored legislation that would use tax credits to encourage less controversial stem-cell studies, as well as the establishment of stem-cell and cord-blood banks.

(Obama has favored expanded federal funding for embryonic stem-cell research — an issue that has been tied up in lengthy legal proceedings. Most researchers hope that reprogrammed cells will eventually provide a way out of the moral and ethical controversy.)

Science funding:

Federal funding for the National Science Foundation has become something of a hot potato in some GOP quarters, in light of recent criticism of the agency from Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla.

Neither Perry nor Romney has made his views on NSF funding widely known, but in the past the Texas governor as well as the Massachusetts governor have touted NSF grants that came to institutions in their states.

Bachmann has faced criticism from the right-leaning Club for Growth for her "questionable" vote to reauthorize spending by the NSF. However, Bachmann did recently seek to reduce NSF funding to 2008 levels for a budget reduction of $1.7 billion.

Paul voiced strong opposition to federal funding for science education in 2000, saying that "Congress has no constitutional authority to single out any one academic discipline as deserving special emphasis." More recently, Paul was one of two members of Congress voting against a resolution to mark NSF's 60th anniversary.

(After he took office, Obama vowed to double NSF's $6.5 billion budget, but this year's $6.8 billion figure falls well short of that goal.)

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_new...-controversy-spotlights-gop-stands-on-science

#12     Aug 18, 2011
  3. Unemployment under what you would do would probably be worse than it is now and that is our biggest problem at the moment. I disagree with some of your list and agree with some also but all in all an ok list.

#13     Aug 18, 2011
  4. Lucrum

Lucrum

In the interest of long term improvements, sometimes things have to get worse before they get better.

#14     Aug 19, 2011
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Has anyone seen Obama's transcripts? No, of course not. He won't release them. But what we have heard from friends is that he was NOT a good student. Big shocker I know.

#15     Aug 19, 2011
  6. Lucrum

Lucrum

From what I've seen so far I'm surprised he even graduated high school.

#16     Aug 19, 2011
  7. Grades, past activities, past associations, etc are only relevant for republican , particularly conservative republican, candidates. I thought you knew that.

Anyway, obama "wrote" two memoirs before he held a full time job.

#17     Aug 19, 2011
  8. Which president have we seen transcripts from, Bush one or two, Clinton, Nixon, Carter ?

#18     Aug 19, 2011
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

George W released them. McCain released his while he was running as did John Kerry and Al Gore. Bob Dole, Bill Clinton and George H Bush released partial transcripts. As far as I know, Obama is the only President in recent history who has released NONE of his transcripts.

#19     Aug 19, 2011
  10. Lucrum

Lucrum

Apparently he's not too proud of them.

#20     Aug 20, 2011