Do Traders have a high alcoholic Rate?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by jsmooth, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Cuz the ladies look much better at the close of the bar........duh:D

#31     Sep 12, 2005
  2. Sad to say, I actaully had 2 of my best days trading when I came in hungover on a friday morning..

I think since it is still in my system, I was more relaxed and just traded better..

:eek:

#32     Sep 12, 2005
  3. Urkel

Urkel

Just want to share a quick story. A few years ago on my birthday when i used to clerk in the grains, one of the soybean options brokers invited me down to ceres for a drink around 12pm. The place was packed and I noticed alot of traders(mostly brokers when i think about it) down there and alot of them older guys. I guess after years of working down there alot of these guys feel they need something in the middle of their day to keep them going.

Me being the naive just turned 21 kid down there I thought it was the coolest thing all these guys drinking during the middle of the day, after thinking about it more though i began to realize how fcked up a place it is down there.

How would u feel if you had millions of dollars of corn/soybean contracts to move on the close and find out your broker had been in Ceres for the past 45 min. taking shots of whiskey with his pals?

#33     Sep 12, 2005
    _eug_ likes this.

4. I'm there at 7.. A lil 'nip...

All the folks having a drink have been there since 1-2am, they're going home, it's their evening, so that's why they're drinking.

As for me, :D ... hahaha

I don't do it nearly as much as I used to, but all I have to say was.. LUNCH WAS A BLAST (ed)....

If you are on top of your game, you know your crap, then 1 or 2 isn't going to kill you. It's O.K. to go all out once in a blue moon.

Now if you're going ALL OUT everyday at 11 thirsty, then.... :mad:

c ya'll down at noon thirsty! :D

-cbk

#34     Sep 13, 2005
  5. pierson

pierson

This thread is great, my broker is flying me down to see the floor for the first time on Thursday morning and i'm staying until the close on Friday. I'm excited to see what its like.....even more so after this thread.
    Also, i don't drink often but i have a drink or 2 now and then. I've even had a couple when i've met friends for lunch and then came back and traded. It had no impact on my trading performance but i follow mechanical systems so unless it would cause me to finger fumble i would have to get feeling just a little too good (or bad however you look at it) to make a mistake.

Pierson

#35     Sep 13, 2005
  6. My cousin is one of the scientists who worked on the Human Genome Project. He recently discovered a gene, unique to people of European-Jewish ethnicity, that renders us far less likely to become <b>problem drinkers/alcoholics.</b> (That's not to say that Jews don't drink.) Think about it, how many Jewish alcoholics & violent drunks have you ever met?

Don't call the P.C. police on me, I'm just relating an interesting scientific fact.

#36     Sep 13, 2005
  7. how good is the reputation of "Goose Island" Beer
    in chitown? I had a nice bottle of it tonight
    in nyc ... is it a secret ? none of my chitown contacts ever told me they make a nice brewsky

:D

#37     Sep 25, 2005
  8. Very popular here, Goose is on many taps across the city. Comparable to Sam Adams, don't you think? Guess I shouldn't be surprised that a bottle wandered out that far east. Thanks to brands like Goose Island, American brewing is no longer a joke compared to Europe.

Ironically, the better known Chicago beer is Old Style ( AKA Old Swill). Don't bother with that one.

#38     Sep 25, 2005
  9. Cheese

Cheese

Boozing is pleasant. Also I've done binge drinking from time to time at a bar or club but it never makes me take on heavy drinking as a habit. Its like a lot of things with people when they aren't really in control of things.

Boozing, I can always take it or leave it. I go days or weeks without drinking. I have a busy trading/business life which gives me a lot of contentment so it can be difficult to find time for leisure sometimes.

The other thing is that regular heavy boozing in the end f**ks up your life and health. I prefer to keep and nurture my cerebral and physical fitness.
    :)

#39     Sep 25, 2005
  10. Make your choice : alcohol or sport !

#40     Sep 25, 2005