Do Traders have a high alcoholic Rate?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by jsmooth, Sep 10, 2005.

1. plutocrat

plutocrat Guest

i grew up in jewish neighboorhood, jews hardly do any drugs at all in comparison to the general population, thats BS, i live in chicago, and party here all the time.

also, who the fuck does coke and DOSENT drink...

#21     Sep 10, 2005
  2. plutocrat

plutocrat Guest

whether or not a family problem is more stressful that a monetary problem is highly subjective, and depends almost TOTALY on the individual, thats an over generalized blanket statement.

#22     Sep 10, 2005
  3. You're right. My first sentence is that stress comes from all aspects of life.

I offered an opinion based on my personal experiences with family issues. For me, the types of stress in trading do not compare to what problems friends/family have hit me with.

I am biased becuase I am somewhat of an introvert and tend to believe that most interpersonal relationships are usually too messy and dramatic to deal with.

Mike

#23     Sep 10, 2005
  4. I would like to ask about the percent of highly successful
    traders or people in general who somehow try ruin their lives
    by smoking packs a day of cigs or smoking pot
    or doing worse stuff ( drugs ) , besides drinking.

also the rate of divorcees for "traders" vs non trading population
    or vs people in their income
    bracket

:eek:

#24     Sep 10, 2005
  5. JS,

Just out of curiosity, what bar near the CBOT where you at? I'm currently clerking in the bond options pits and our traders usually go to the Cactus and Alcock's. Heard back in the day there used to be another place called Exelisir or something. The bars near the CBOT used to be a lot more packed when the bond futures pits where still alive (they're drying out now because of the screen). Back in the heyday, at 2:00pm, there'd be like over 1500+ traders/brokers/staff come out from the financial side (the 10 and 30yrs held like 500-600 guys each).

It's been my experience that I see more brokers/traders from the financials than from the grains....though we do get out a little later. The financials traders seem to be a bit more intense and generally younger and wealthier than the grains guys, so that might be why they're more willing drop phat bank on booz.

I wonder how some of the guys you mention start drinking by 9-10AM. Do they step off the floor to have a drink? I haven't seen it; grains don't start til 9:30, but I guess most of the those guys are there before. If if the bonds guys have a good day, the earliest they probably leave is around noonish.

Just my 2 bits...

#25     Sep 10, 2005
  6. mcurto

mcurto

There are tons of prop trading groups in the CBOT upstairs that trade the schatz/bobl/bund which are traded only on the screen on Eurex. Some of these guys are drinking in Ceres (bottom floor of CBOT) very early some days when the grain guys are having breakfast (because they have bankers hours and don't start until 930am).

#26     Sep 10, 2005
  7. MCurto,

Very true. I usually come in from the CBOE where my firm's offices are, and as such, don't walk past Ceres all too often, which is closer to jackson, but you can see the outdoor patio from under the bridge. But I have seen crowds there early in the morning, which I figured were the guys trading upstairs. I'm actually trying to get off the floor and move to the screen; maybe I such hang out at Ceres a little more and start chatting it up with those guys.

BTW, is there any money to be made in trading that German stuff?

#27     Sep 10, 2005
  8. When it becomes a habit, time to test your character...

#28     Sep 10, 2005
  9. I've found that trading reduces my drinking (during the week anyway) cause I'm a lousy hungover trader.

#29     Sep 10, 2005
  10. cable

cable

I know I do. (*hic*) No seriously, traders don't have a high rate, it's just that I skew the bell curve for all of us.

And how are you supposed to get inside information if you're not down at the trader's bar socializing with your buddies?

#30     Sep 11, 2005