Do the right thing this Tuesday, vote Democratic.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dddooo, Nov 5, 2006.

1. So you will be voting for a Republican President in 2008 if the Senate is Democrat to keep the checks and balances in place?

#71     Nov 8, 2006
  2. ZZZzzzzzzz

my goodness---- what a fucking loser

#72     Nov 8, 2006
  3. Looks like your party got its ass kicked...

LOL...

#73     Nov 8, 2006
  4. BSAM

BSAM

There's something happening here.
    What it is, is exactly clear.
    There's a man with a ballot over there.
    Telling us, we got to beware.

I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound?
    Everybody look who went down.

(With apologies to Buffalo Springfield.)
    (With no apologies to Little George Bush, Donald Rumsfeld, and all the RINOs.)

#74     Nov 8, 2006
  5. No.

There are certain democratic initiatives (healthcare, fair trade etc) I'd like to see accomplished and that will likely require democratic control of the presidency. But if instead of implementing their agenda the dems become corrupt, greedy, incompetent, ignorant, arrogant, power-hungry, if they get involved in semi-legal and outright illegal activities (like torture, wars, warantless searches), if they push for laws and priveleges threatening our democracy and our freedoms - you can rest assured that I wll not hesitate to campaign and vote for the opposition even if I disagree with their agenda.

#75     Nov 8, 2006

6. Confused yet again. A handful of Republican leaning oligarchs own, operate and dictate what the media will tell you.

#76     Nov 8, 2006
  7. I think this blurs the line of checks and balances a little. First, not everyone believes that Bush is corrupt. That is an opinion rather than fact (depending on who you ask). If an investigation goes forward and can prove that there was wrong doing, then we can agree on your statement. Until then, it is really speculation (aka opinion).

How is there a system of checks and balances if one party controls the Presidency, Congress, and the Senate (as you are hoping for in 2008)? Unless the interpretation is that while one party has held all three for 6 years, so the other party should now. This is more of a teeter totter effect than balance.

The real problem is that NEITHER side wants to work with the other and try to find an amicable solution. Our government has gone from some semblance of intelligent discourse to grandstanding in order to insure re-election. Will this ever change? Most likely not. Our politicians are all looking out for their best interests.

The major blame falls on society as a whole though. We are all looking out for our best interests as well, which keeps these politicians in business. I'm guilty of it and so are you. If we stood back and all honestly looked at an issue from all sides to see what really benefitted society as a whole, rather than what personally benefits us or our beliefs, we would be headed in the right direction. This isn't human nature though.

You say a democratic initiative you are interested in is healthcare. The plan put forth by the Clintons was not attractive to the Republicans. Now there are plenty of people on here that will just flat out say that Republicans are idiots or mean because they do not agree with the plan that was put forth. Completely counterproductive, and does not attempt to ask the question of why they do not agree. It may be easier for them to just spew hatred rather than honestly looking at the issue from both sides. Some Republicans simply are against any healthcare reform if the idea comes from Democrats. They too like to spew hatred. Just like these people, the politicians will not compromise.

The same thing happened with Social Security reform. The tables were just turned. Republicans wanted their plan all or nothing, and the Democrats didn't agree. Same people on both sides spewing.

Until both sides want to be honest about the issues and work together, for the good of the nation as a whole, we are screwed any way you look at it.

#77     Nov 8, 2006