Do Texans Trade Better?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Emil Kraepelin, Feb 4, 2011.

1. I beg the benevolent forbearance of moderation on this one for a bit. My rubric is properly psychological because I believe that geography influences character, and most of ET agrees that character influences trading success to some degree. I am a naturalized Texan (as we say, "I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could!"), but innately subscribe to Texas values. I believe that those values contribute mightily to trading success. And I invite fellow Texicans like pspr and Redneck to weigh in. Forgive me if I have forgotten anyone, but I plead terminal CRS syndrome.

Pour commencer (we have a substantial French einfluss here), I think Texans tend to be hard minded (not to be confused with hard headed). We are unsympathetic to the values of people, say, in Sanny Franny. We like CA as a place to vacation, but we wouldn't want to pay their taxes. We elect governors who shoot. Hell, we elected a Democrat, Ann Richards, just BECAUSE she's a shotgun shooter!

I believe that tough mindedness is essential to a successful trading career. No whining. No pussy blaming the market. Taking immediate personal responsibility for the ills that befall us.

Personally, I have persevered as a trader despite manifest evidence that I had little talent for it.

I hate to quote a well-known queer, but Michael Stipe said it well: "Oh no I've said too much. I haven't said enough."

Over to you, fallow Texians.

2. I was born in Texas but had to move when I was young (military). I have yet to meet a better bond trader (have worked with approximately 100) than me so that goes to support your theory.

3. spd

spd

Im a native Texan, I have my ups and downs :-/

4. BSAM

BSAM

I heard they got a lot of rednecks, dumbasses, and illegal aliens in Texas. If this is true, how does it affect your trading?

5. How many Texans in the Forbes list?

Case closed.

P.S. If you need further attention, consult a therapist.

6. BSAM

BSAM

Exsqueeze me, but this seems like a really dumb comment. I heard that some people from California are really good traders, but they are nowhere near being on the Forbes list.

7. Redneck

Redneck

Never ask a man where he’s from… if he’s from Texas he’ll tell ya… otherwise you’ll just embarrass him:p

================================================================================

A self reliant, no bullshit, what ever it takes attitude – goes a long way I would imagine….

Its funny…, I chose my moniker because I grew up doing real work, on a farm/ ranch… and I view trading the same – every day I roll up my sleeves and go to work

I’m not real big on the pomp and circumstance this industry fosters either – its all BS

==============================================================================================

Yes BSAM – I am two of the three you described – how does it affect my trading – not tooo bad

As for the illegal’s – do you really need to ask

Illegal is just that… illegal

===================================================

A redneck's famous last words.... Hey y'all watch this :eek:

RN

8. As La Mere Bete proves, modesty is not one of our virtues. Some say it is because there is too little lithium carbonate in the water. My hat is off to you as a bond trader. What is your secret? Sell when rates go up? We could get to retirement shorting long bonds.

But I won't believe you are really a Texan unless you tell me a uniquely Texan aphorism.

Also, Redneck is buying the drinks at the Dallas TraderSexpo.

9. I think you are thinking of a joke from my youth:

She offered her honor.

And he honored her offer.

It went that way all night. Honor and offer...honor and offer...

What and how do you trade?

10. I know you are from SoCal, but I forgive you and love you anyway. Guilty on two counts, but not illegal, unless you count being from Virginia. Being a dumbass redneck (actually I prefer the appelation "white trash", as it is all encompassing) means that you don't believe anything the One World Liberal Global Warming Anti-Gun Pro-Gay press says. That about covers it.

#10     Feb 4, 2011