Do Students get Margin account??

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bender271, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Ar Interactive Brokers you have to be at least 21 years of age. Perhaps that's the norm.

#11     Aug 18, 2007
  2. ER9

ER9

no broker has to know yo dont have a full time job. stretch the truth next time to make yourself appear more than you are financially etc within reasonable limits and it will probably be alot easier. of course that being said be smart about how you use margin if you get it. obviously you need to be able to cover if something goes against you.

#12     Aug 18, 2007
  3. mde2004

mde2004

Say you employed and are worth 200k, the account will be ready in no time. I know people who do this all the time. Get it how you live and trade.

#13     Aug 18, 2007
  4. Had one in college, wish I didn't; money I lost would have been much better spent on booze and chicks

#14     Aug 18, 2007
  5. Only if you have a 4.0 average :-} :D

#15     Aug 18, 2007
  6. bender271

bender271

guess i better open a new account with my "new" financial info... but don't they check on stuff like how much i make per year?

#16     Aug 18, 2007
  7. abxs

abxs

interesting question as a friend of mine is experiencing something similar... are you guys sure IB hasn't changed it's rules? It seems like they are more strict nowadays and do require that a person has an income. Although that's obviously quite strange considering you want to be a full time trader instead of working in a job...

check out this thread

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=101878

#17     Aug 22, 2007
  8. gnome

gnome

Not 100% on this but if you're 21, you're no longer a minor in any state.

In a margin account, you are fully liable for any deficits, but if you were to be a minor it could be more difficult to collect. So, it seems "age 21" is a proper requirement.

#18     Aug 22, 2007
  9. gnome

gnome

Seems like life's great lessons are usually learned too late. :D

#19     Aug 22, 2007
  10. best saying on this thread. Don't get into early debt or trouble.

#20     Aug 25, 2007