Do shielded cables make a differences?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dandxg, Jul 16, 2006.

1. mjh

mjh

If you connect your network together with CAT5 or CAT 6 cable, (that’s the colored 8-conductor wire you see running from your router or Ethernet connections)chances are it has a shield (foil wrap) built right in. If your going a considerable distance from your DSL or T1 connection to your PC then I would recommend that you use nothing but shielded cable.

Shielded cable cuts down on "noise" that is transmitted by electrical appliances, transformers and such that could effect some transmissions; however, I doubt it would have any effect on a local PC network. Just remember, if you do use shielded wire, then you hve to be grounded soemwhere so thta the shielded part has someplace to arrest any noise etc. This is usually done thru the wall outlet with that third round prong on the plug.

#11     Jul 16, 2006
  2. Yup. And it's first rate product too. :)

#12     Jul 16, 2006
  3. osorico if I could ask........after reading that article since my router is a 2 plug and my computer is 3 plug having shielded cables wouldn't help correct?

#13     Jul 16, 2006
  4. Well, I can't really answer that. Based on that article that would be the conclusion. This article, same site, is more appropriate me thinks... http://www.connectworld.net/twisted-pair-cables.html

But the bottomline is, as someone eluded to previously, 5e cable is shielded (at least partially)... unless you are setting up inside a radio tower or live directly next to a power station or directly under power lines or something, additional shielding will likely not have any bearing on your network.

Osorico

#14     Jul 16, 2006