Do pilots make better traders?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Tums, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Lucrum

Lucrum

I've been in the aviation industry since I was still a senior in HS (1979) and I don't don't recall ever hearing of "ADM".

Situational awareness and CRM (Crew resource management) yes but not ADM.
    That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, I just never heard of it.

If pilots, and I'm talking primarily professional ones here, have any "edge" I'm thinking it would be the pragmatism to objectively face and size up reality, sometimes in a hurry. As well as being able to make a disciplined "trained" response during potentially stressful situations. Or in other words to do what your trained to do without thinking, assuming there's little or no time to.

We sometimes "brag" (for lack of a better word) that we're paid to make split second multi million dollar life and death decisions, and sometimes we do. But much of what we do is actually just a trained response. An engine failure during takeoff for example.
    With some exceptions, if it's prior to V1 you abort. After V1 you continue.
    You don't stop to think about it, if you did it could be too late. The analogy to trading, I would think, would be following your plan even in the heat of the moment or when the market is rapidly moving against your position.

Outside of this I don't see much advantage to being a pilot personally.

#21     Oct 24, 2006
  2. Drew07

Drew07

I've logged thousands of hours on Microsoft Flight Simulator......Will this help me be a better trader or does it just make me a nerd? Probably the latter.

#22     Oct 24, 2006
  3. Not during a crash...

#23     Oct 24, 2006
  4. Banjo

Banjo

5. Drew07

Drew07

While we're on aviation, I found this cool site that broadcasts live Air Traffic Control from all over the world. www.liveatc.net. If you're into this kind of stuff it's pretty cool.

#25     Oct 24, 2006
  6. Aren't pilots more likely to take a flyer?

#26     Oct 24, 2006
  7. any1 with IQ of less than 90 will make a better trader than 90% of the guys on ET. The reason: Hes too dumb to not follow the trading system

#27     Oct 24, 2006
  8. ADM is a term that the FAA started pushing hard, only since the mid to late 90s, when it started to appear in things like the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and such.

I believe that those that study hard would make better traders. I would venture to say that any profession that requires study and strong analytical skills could sharpen the skills for trading.

I'm a serious pilot (CP-ASEL, AMEL, AGI), and have been studying and analyzing the markets off and on for years. I've been seriously studying them for the last 3 months. I will continue to study for the forseeable future before finding my edge.

Just like aviation, I feel that as long as I keep my mental capacity sharp, I should be able to do well.

#28     Oct 24, 2006
  9. Maybe you thinking of ADD :D

I rarely ever cry as an adult but I did cry some when I flew on the Concord.

#29     Oct 24, 2006
  10. It may, but I don't know much about being a pilot. Basically to be successful in trading you need to find a method that works and then stick to it like glue.

#30     Oct 24, 2006