Do personal problems seriously affect your investment/trading performance?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by helpme_please, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Sorry if you're going through this, but I implied this in my earlier statement and wanted to clarify:

Treating like a disease means you need to find a way to keep the symptoms at bay. If it's a toxic home environment, take more vacations, move out, etc. Short term: just shut down till it's done.

#11     Mar 6, 2019
  2. MattZ

MattZ Sponsor

Good Point @Handle123 The longer I am in this business, the more I appreciate those who think about the one-off event and variable. Size tends to stay the same after prolonged periods of success, and the drawdown accumulates slowly while hope starts to sink in that it will recover. It rarely does. Always change the size and slow down when a certain drawdown occurred, whether fast in a one-day event or over a prolonged period.

Yes, the personal relationship will affect trading. Stress, desperation, hyperactivity all are a complete distraction on trading. However, I find that people are always looking for correlations and many times they are random. So this divorce could be a coincidence.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    #12     Mar 7, 2019
  3. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

It’s the most important trade you’ll ever make.

#13     Mar 7, 2019
    tommcginnis and vanzandt like this.
  4. To add on, if you make a wrong trade on marriage, cutting losses will result in huge, massive losses. Jeff Bezos cut his losses and that cost him an estimated USD70 billion. Biggest loss in divorce history.

Some men made a good trade in their marriage. But they screwed up the good trade by screwing around with mistresses. So, they had to pay for their screwing. So, treasure your wife if you make a good trade and don't screw up by screwing around.

Not every good wife is as tolerant as Mrs Hillary Clinton who is willing to forgive the husband and stick with the husband when certain unpleasant stuff is discovered.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    #14     Mar 7, 2019
  5. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

Nor as tolerant as Melania.

A good wife is a powerful tailwind for success.

#15     Mar 7, 2019
  6. Life events such as a divorce have a high probability of effecting ones performance in many different areas trading is no exception to this. However those with very strong mindsets can leave there personal lives at the door and turn on a professional/high performance mindset. Being a hypnotherapist and mindset coach for high performers in multiple areas I've seen that they are many other factors that will effect how tough it is for someone going though a break up or divorce. Did their parents divorce ? is there a custody battle for children? financial effects etc? is this triggering anxiety or depression or some other negative emotions that are hard to deal with. In general before trading I'd recommend doing a quick 30 second check on how your feeling it could be as basic as have you slept? have you eaten? if you have a warm up routine before trading have you gone thought that? is there anything emotional thats effecting your ability to make decisions?. Meditation is an excellent way to strengthen your mindset and make important decisions under pressure easier and can be a great way to warm your mind up before jumping into the markets.

#16     Mar 15, 2019
  7. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

I have read more vacuous posts than this. I just can't remember when. o_O

#17     Mar 15, 2019
    Dan Heskett likes this.