Do not use tradelog for your taxes

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by RiceRocket, Mar 23, 2007.

1. spindr0

spindr0

I'm a first time user of Tradelog (printing my 2008 Sched D as I type) and I think the program is great. I posted my experience with it on another BB:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=2295678&highlight=tradelog#post2295678

The only complaints I have are:

1) I needed some assistance with symbol changes and mergers and they insisted that I send my data file to them. Tradelog wrote here that:

Not only would I object to that but I also would not want it in a 3rd party's hands, no matter how safe they claim it to be. Fortunately, I was able to figure out an input price to get the program to produce the same P&L result on the Sched D as in reality.

2) I wish the program would print more info per page so I don't need a hernia belt to lift my return :)
    I'm a noob at this so it may exist. If so, my only complaint is the privacy issue. Apart from that, I'm glad to rid of this tax preparation nightmare and I feel comfortable knowing that if I screw up again next year and incur some wash sale violations, it's no big deal.

#61     Feb 15, 2009
  2. thstart

thstart

I have a simple question - does TradeLog and other similar software is using floating point or decimal arithmetic calculations. Because it is a huge difference.

#62     Feb 17, 2009
  3. thstart

thstart

I see TradeLog and GainsKeeper representatives on the forum - could you please tell me how you prorm your calculations - a floating point or decimal arithmetic?

#63     Feb 17, 2009
  4. thstart

thstart

sorry for mistyping - ...perform...

#64     Feb 17, 2009
  5. Chip

Chip

Gainskeeper is nice, but you CANNOT EXPORT your trades. Good luck if you ever want to leave them. So if you have multi-year trades and want to switch to another product, forget it. They own you, or you have to keep a whole set of duplicate records outside Gainskeeper. Then you ask you self, what are they thinking?

#65     Mar 27, 2009
  6. Absolutely LOVE tradelog, but is there anyway to enter optionshouse data into it? I purchased but didn't realize some brokerage house data could not be entered...

#66     Jan 27, 2013
  7. j law

j law

can you give u sa roadmap ,i like the idea of closing all positions at yearend

#67     Sep 6, 2014
  8. Tradelog remains the best solution on the market for securities traders. It's the only solution that handles taxpayer compliance fully and properly. See http://www.greentradertax.com/trader-tax-center/accounting-solutions/

Excerpt: Many traders and their tax preparers cut corners on trade accounting for securities. They seek to download broker-issued 1099-Bs directly into tax preparation software or to simply attach broker-issued profit and loss reports to tax returns. In the majority of cases, that shortcut solution will not work since taxpayers must calculate wash sales based on substantially identical positions across all brokerage accounts including IRAs, and the IRS only requires brokers to calculate wash sales based on identical positions per one account.

#68     Sep 26, 2014
  9. Tradelog has a little "SURPRISE!" for us... if you have holdings for several years that pay dividends and those dividends are "re-invested" Tradelog now counts each one of these as a transaction. So for the first several years I could use the 200 transactions per year subscription. But when I upgraded to 2017 Tradelog, I now have so many transactions (without even making ONE Trade!) that I am now mandated to buy the 600 transaction version! I have probably only made 20 or 30 trades this year, all the other "transactions" were DRIPS from previous years! Eventually, if I stay with TradeLog, I will have to buy the 1500 transaction subscription whether I trade or not. I don't think they used to do this when they were with Armen Computing. I didn't have this issue in the past. It was only THIS YEAR that as soon as I created my "New Tax Year 2017" that immediately a pop up told me that I had too many transactions. So be aware, perhaps they can fix this, I hope they will, but this change seems intentional so I doubt they will.

#69     Dec 9, 2017
  10. I forgot to add, TradeLog is a great program usually, and I really love using it, however now I am forced to buy the 600 transaction subscription even when I don't trade at all. This does not seem fair to me. any thoughts?

#70     Dec 9, 2017