Do NOT Take Vitamins

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ByLoSellHi, Apr 16, 2008.

1. I could believe that about synthetic vitamins, but fish oil comes directly from the fish! If you get a decent brand, there is nothing else in it. When you eat a salmon, you eat only part of it. Same thing.

#11     Apr 18, 2008
  2. balda

balda

Guy comes in to the bar and asks for 5 strait shots of vodka.

Waiter: would you like anything to eat?
    Guy: No

in a few minutes guy asks for another 5 shots.

in a few minutes guy asks for another 5 shots.

Waiter: Barmen will not serve you anymore unless you eat something.
    Guy: Fine. Bring me piece of bread.

So guy drinks last five shots, upon trying to bite bread falls on the floor.

Guy: See what your piece of bread did to me?

#12     Apr 18, 2008
  3. promagma

promagma

#13     Apr 18, 2008
  4. She writes well and makes a good sales pitch but she didn't get me sold. That 20 to 30 years to notice the effects of vitamin D, well how are you going to prove or disprove anything with that time span. And her conclusions are opposed to many other scientist and doctors that read the same studies. I will read up on this some more when I have some time.

#14     Apr 18, 2008
  5. promagma

promagma

Yes, it is impossible to prove or disprove at this point .... but based on my own experiences, I do believe that l-form bacteria and Vitamin D dysregulation are behind most chronic illness. If you look at how the evidence lines up, it is certainly possible, and even plausible.

#15     Apr 18, 2008
  6. Atlantic

Atlantic

yes that's true.

saw it on tv few weeks ago. several hundred studies were done about that. result is what you posted. higher mortality.

fact - obviously. pills are no replacement for good food.

#16     Apr 19, 2008
  7. piezoe

piezoe

Let me just point out one thing that there seems to be a common misunderstanding about, and that is that synthetic vitamins, of which there are few that can be economically synthesized, are absolutely identical to so-called natural vitamins in every respect. For example, the main synthetic vitamin that is widely available is vitamin C. The chemical name is ascorbic acid and synthetic ascorbic acid and natural vitamin C are identical molecules. It makes absolutely no difference, as far as meeting vitamin C requirements goes, whether you eat oranges or swallow a tablet. (Oranges have other nutrients (mainly sugar) and fiber of course.)

Many years ago now, Linus Pauling pointed out that the mdr level set by the FDA for folic acid was woefully inadequate and that folic acid was very commonly deficient in US diets. He recommended that everyone take a folic acid supplement (400 mcg/day). Years later it was discovered that folic acid deficiency was the culprit in a not uncommon spinal birth defect, and pregnant women are advised to take folic acid supplements. But everyone should, with the possible exception of vegetarians, who probably ingest adequate amounts of folic acid.

Keep in mind that the FDA mdr requirements are based on the minimum levels to prevent disease and are not necessarily the optimum levels. But of course if a little of something is good for you a lot is not necessarily better.

#17     Apr 22, 2008
  8. Atlantic

Atlantic

yes it DOES make a difference if you take vitamin c as a tablet vs. eating fruits or vegetables. the effects of vitamins in the body depend on the other ingredients of fruits, etc. - and THAT is the difference.

#18     Apr 22, 2008
  9. Vitamin A and Beta Carotene are a couple of the more toxic common vitamins. Not surprising that overdosing on them is bad. The Vitamin E link though is something new for me to file away. It's the vitamin related to fish oil right?

#19     Apr 22, 2008
  10. piezoe

piezoe

From my perspective, and i admit that i am a prisoner of my education, i think that in general it would not be true that the "effects of vitamins in the body depend on other ingredients of fruits, etc." In fact it seems highly unlikely. However, I can see a case being made for what you consume with vitamins affecting their absorbtion. Perhaps that is what you meant.

Certainly, eating an orange or drinking a glass of orange juice is more enjoyable then swallowing a tablet. On the other hand the tablet is going to give you a lot more Vitamin C than a few oranges. One 500 mg tablet is about equivalent to 7 eight-ounce glasses of juice.

#20     Apr 22, 2008