Do not sit down...stand up while trading...

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by chaosclarity, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Lucias

Lucias

I've a treadmill desk. I have a large commercial treadmill. I found that sitting all the time does hurt me. However, I also found that going from sitting to walking 12 hours non stop was too much and I had to stop using it -- temporarily. My feet were so bruised I could barely walk.

I think the ideal situation is to switch up: walk for a bit and then sit for a bit. Never sitting or standing for too long periods of time. This is a bit difficult to do with my current setup though but I'm going to see what I can do.

So, I plan to go back to it. I find that I can do almost everything with the treadmill that I can sitting at the computer and that ironically I'm more likely to work: even though browsing the web or listening to music is easier then working.

When I worked at home, I would cycle between using the computer and doing intense rowing.

#11     Sep 12, 2011
  2. Crispy

Crispy

I use the ball also. 90% of my day I sit on it. Only use my chair when its lunch time.

The ball rocks!

#12     Sep 12, 2011
  3. Eight

Eight

Sit on a ball, great, great idea, thanks...

From the article:

"laugh more, stand and pace when you’re on the phone, gesture with your hands when you talk, and lower the heat"

Learn to listen to your body! I started working on that decades ago and I aquired all the four abovementioned along the way without thinking about it.. Once a person learns to listen to their body they can progress to learning to listen to their gut. The gut is a whole 'nother intelligence, not tapping it makes for a disadvantage at times, at other times your gut can save your life..

#13     Sep 12, 2011
  4. Welcome to the REAL world!

[​IMG]

#14     Sep 12, 2011
  5. Donald rumsfeld stood while working at his desk. It does make for better decision making.

#15     Sep 12, 2011
  6. just saw your post of trading setting.

isn't there a tremendous amount of heat wave radiating toward you while trading?

to avoid heat wave generated by i7, i use a fan which is practically on 24 hrs a day to reduce heat intensity.

do you use any king of heat shield? or maybe it is just my setup.

happy trading.

#16     Sep 12, 2011
  7. Thank you for the kind reply.
    As far as the ball it is a great addition to have the stability ball there. It is saving my back from weakness.
    Any moving will do fine, even standing and sitting up and down as reps with the chair can help.
    As long as we move we can stay healthy. Immobile in a chair for hours is poison to our health.

#17     Sep 12, 2011
  8. Funny you said that... I did post somewhere I added a fan that runs 24/7 to help circulate the ac. The amazing thing is the computers are running cool even without the fan, but the addition of the fan has helped to cool down the computers even more. The real problem is all the monitors throwing off heat that I can really feel. The fan is working great to reduce that.

#18     Sep 12, 2011