Do not read if you're in a sad mood

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by harrytrader, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Well, at least it will stop with his generation.

#31     Jan 4, 2003
  2. That's the beauty of evolution. Of couse it sucks if you are the unfit one, but when I look at the fittest, I can't help but think their lives must suck big time as well.

#32     Jan 4, 2003
  3. Here is a nice story which illustrates how difficult it is to change one's behaviour.

A frog was sitting at the side of a lake when a scorpion approached him and asked the frog "Would you mind carrying me on your back to the other side of the lake Mr frog ?"

The frog replied : "now why would I do that, once you get onto my back you will sting me and then I will die"

The scorpion replied : "Now why would I do that ? If I sting you, and you die, I will drown"

Now that made perfect sense to the frog so, being the good guy he is, he said "O.K. then, hop on".

Just as he was in the middle of the lake the frog felt a sharp sting in his back so he turned his head towards the scorpion and asked "Now why did you do that for ?"

The scorpion replied : "I just couldn't help myself"

Jack

#33     Jan 4, 2003
  4. Very nice. It illustrates beautifully how what we perceive as individuals are merely vehicles (or slaves) of their genes. I can observe that first hand, because I know making a child would likely condemn that child to a life of misery like my own, yet when I see a pair of fat succulent boobies I just can't help myself.

#34     Jan 4, 2003
  5. I was thinking...

"Damn, a talking frog and a talking scorpion...now, ain't that something?"

#35     Jan 4, 2003
  6. What is wrong with you Hardrock ? On this site we even have a talking lobster :D

What is more, he can even respond in writing.

Jack

#36     Jan 4, 2003
  7. I guess he is fishing for a compliment, being it that he (as a hard rock) is not usually considered even a life form, yet he posts on ET. Keep up the good work, hard rock!

#37     Jan 4, 2003
  8. Actually, most people don't actually realize it is the scorpion's genetic programming that makes him sting. They babble about "nature" or "instinct", which is all nice and good, but it doesn't help you see the underlying mechanisms.

#38     Jan 4, 2003
  9. I think they may consider nature or instinct to be synonymous with genetic programming. However, I am by no means an authority on the matter. I am just stating what I perceive to be the sentiment of the silent majority.

#39     Jan 4, 2003
  10. Yes, there was/is indeed a song of that title.

I think they both may be arthropods. Just a guess.

#40     Jan 4, 2003