Do not read if you're in a sad mood

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by harrytrader, Jan 4, 2003.

1. or 100,000 civilians whose deaths could shave a nickel off our gas price?

#21     Jan 4, 2003
  2. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Hundreds of thousands more have died for no special reason at all, other than nobody lifted a finger to prevent it. I have difficulty working up a lot of enthusiasm over this particular moral how-do-you-do. Though Dubya is an idioit, his behavior is no more egregious than that of any other national leader in a wide variety of similar circumstances over the years.

--Db

#22     Jan 4, 2003
  3. Having a strong opinion doesn't automatically mean that one's opinion correlates with the truth, the facts.

I'll give an example which may make clear what I'm on about.

A health professional told me that ALL (yes, 100%) of the violent criminals he had examined (in the prison system) had diabetic problems.

His conclusion is that there is a clear connection between the two.

The fact that the government buries its head in the sand about this aspect does not negate the facts shown by the testing of these violent crims.

Unless the underlying causes for one's destructive behaviour are properly dealt with that person will continue to behave in a stupid and self destructive manner History will only repeat itself.

Until one realises why we act the way we act one will be unable to do something about changing one's behaviour and, as a consequence, our self destructive behaviour will continue.

The question is "Can we blame the violent crims for being diabetic if the whole of society conspired to hook them onto sweet things in the first place ?"

Relating this to trading, until such time as Tom, Dick or Harry become aware what exactly made them override their earlier decision to close their trade upon the price reaching a certain level, he will be unable to change his behaviour.

Deep down they know very well that they should have acted differently but the facts are that their rational mind was overridden by other factors in their make up. Other factors which they themselves definitely did not plant inside their minds.

The whole matter is very complicated and cannot just be dismissed by saying 'they are weakwilled idiots, they are only getting what they deserve'.

Jack

#23     Jan 4, 2003
  4. It depends on how you define idiot, but other than that I agree with you.

#24     Jan 4, 2003
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

As to your first point, you're setting up a series of assumptions that are untested and unverified, then asking for an answer that is something more than meaningless. You're assuming for one that all violent criminals are diabetic. You're also assuming that the diabetes is somehow connected to their being violent criminals. You're also assuming that society made them diabetic. And so on.

As to your second point, there is absolutely no reason why a trader must know why he does what he does. All he needs to know is that his behavior is counter-productive and what he must do in order to extinguish the behavior.

--Db

#25     Jan 4, 2003
  6. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Look it up in the dictionary. You'll see a big picture of George W. Bush.

--Db

#26     Jan 4, 2003
  7. Just today someone called me an idiot. And he was probably right. I don't drive to work and kiss a boss's behind five days a week. I don't get drunk at night or on weekends. I don't go to parties. I don't like to travel. My ideal home would be absolutely quiet and have no carpets and almost no furniture. I don't have children and it doesn't look like I ever will. I don't smoke or do any other drugs except the little bit of sugar I can't avoid.

If I'm not an idiot I don't know who is.

#27     Jan 4, 2003

8. hey it gets worse...

you are boring as hell

#28     Jan 4, 2003
  9. So, only during the days then, right?

#29     Jan 4, 2003
  10. Lobster, you said : "I don't have children and it doesn't look like I ever will."

So just as well as in your case it looks as if your bad habit may be genetic :D :D

Cheers,

Jack

#30     Jan 4, 2003