**Do NOT open thread titled "Real or not"

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Longhorns, Jul 23, 2006.

1. same for me; got a mac.

#11     Jul 24, 2006
  2. Me too, I had to hold down the power button for 5 secs to reboot, had a blank screen. Strange thing is I never opened the thread real or not, I don't think. What was it about, was it a picture??

#12     Jul 24, 2006
  3. no picture [i assume]...just a freakin' disease aimed at your pc.

#13     Jul 24, 2006
  4. alanm

alanm

Can a mod comment on the status of this?

Has whatever loophole that the user exploited been closed?

Do I have to worry about viruses showing up in other threads?

Was the virus successfully caught by anyone's AV software (I use ZASS, which I think uses CA's engine/datfiles)?

#14     Jul 24, 2006
  5. #15     Jul 24, 2006
  6. Unfortunately any mention of a possible problem with an ET page, if it is couched in the terms of "virus", will meet nothing but silence or quick deletion.

Why Baron does not address these problems, I don't know. Except, perhaps, lost revenue if people avoided ANY ad clicks because of this fear.

Just a wild guess about what could be happening, but I suspect it is merely an active-x or Java problem embedded in the ad link. IOW it is not a virus.

Unless someone consciously downloads an Excel or Word file or the like with virus code in the macros, I don't see how just clicking an ET thread could cause any damage. I assume Baron has very good AV code running on his servers.

Could be wrong tho. Can any knowledgeable mods or Baron comment on this? I know Baron has mentioned in the past (before the threads were deleted) that the idea is preposterous, yet people still have problems with this.

Thanks.

#16     Jul 24, 2006
  7. it was the links on the first post of the thread in question that contained a virus...if u clicked 'em u would have gotten infected.

#17     Jul 25, 2006
  8. Hmm. Still not one moderator comment.

#18     Jul 25, 2006
  9. Strange, huh? :p

#19     Jul 25, 2006
  10. I was the 2nd to hit that link and immediately posted a warning for all other ET members so they wouldnt fall for it too. I also comlpained but I checked around 4 hours later and it was still out there and a lot more people had clicked on it I guess they didnt read my WARNING. There was no pic just a virus fortunately I just got a new antivirus installed so I only had to reboot and was all good again.

#20     Jul 25, 2006