Do Not Buy Gas May 19, 2004!!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SKRILLA'S_BACK!, May 18, 2004.

1. URBAN LEGEND ALERT:

This has been tried before and is based on a false premise:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/nogas.asp

OTOH-anyone looking at buying a hybrid? When my current lease runs out, I'll give it serious consideration, some of them look good, esp. the RX400h.

DS

#31     May 19, 2004
  2. Nordic

Nordic

#32     May 19, 2004
  3. I always get a kick out of this whenever it comes around. Is there nothing illogical about this to anyone? If you dont fill up today, but still drive, guess what, you still will have to put gas in your fucking tank on another day.

I love it when people bitch about the cost of fuel. Look, no one is making you buy fuel. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Don't drive, don't cool or heat or house, don't use electricity. If you think it should be cheaper, then YOU go and make it yourself. Invest the billions of dollars, invent all the technology, hire all the hundreds of thousands of people, take all the risk and just make your own fucking gasoline. So until someone from the oil companies puts a gun to your head and makes you buy their gas, it their right to charge whatever the fuck they want for it. And it is your right to not buy it from them.

I love it when the cost of gas goes up. It offers the opportunity for our very productive oil companies to make more money, therefore allowing them to have the capital to keep exploring for and refining oil, helping to insure my future convience and comfort. In addition, whenever the price of gas goes up, it puts further market pressure on concepts like fuel cells to become more viable.

Capitalism and free trade. Its a great system.

Best,

Mike

#34     May 19, 2004
  4. The logic behind this email is that if people hurt the oil comapnies on one day, they will change their evil ways and lower gas prices. But how does a company losing money lead to lower prices? If anything, they would have to RAISE prices to offset the loss.

I got this email a couple of times, and replied to the senders with the UrbanLegends link posted previously. Just about anything I get like this anymore is a bunch of crap, and I enjoy letting the sheep who send it to me know that.

#35     May 19, 2004
  5. Couldn't agree more...

#36     May 19, 2004
  6. taodr

taodr

I have stated this last year on different threads. I have a friend who trades oil by the tanker. He said OPEC will not rest until oil is $50 a barrel and that includes the Saudi's. Their rational is that water costs less per liter so oil should be more expensive. Also by the way they believe governments should LOWER taxes. I am of the conviction OPEC is funding terrorists to achieve their price. Fuck them all !

#37     May 19, 2004
  7. Logic? There is no logic here. Routine, mindless, emotional feel-good liberalism.

I sold the gas-guzzling, rapidly depreciating Grand Cherokee and prestigious Audi and am now seriously considering a $14,000 Civic. We drive around in these idiotic status symbols displaying our status to people we see once in our lifetime while sitting at a stop light. These status symbols are immaterial to the interactions with the relevant people at work, in bars, on the golf course, etc. and a pointless waste of resources. Spend the money on a good haircut and tailor instead.

That would be substantive change.

#38     May 19, 2004
  8. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

The hybrids are a start ... my fiance just got her 2004 Prius (after waiting 6 months due to demand). She's averaging over 50 mph and gets 60 mph or more on the highway. She drove it over a month before having to fill it up.

Re: symptoms ... if we didn't have all those gas guzzling SUV's on the road we'd have much higher inventories. I can't understand why people whould CHOOSE to buy something that gets 10 mpg.

#39     May 19, 2004
  9. hey, if there's an public transportation system that works well & reliabily, i would use it.

there are railways on the 105 freeway that stop short of LAX, who thought of that? a train that goes no where.

many people work in downtown LA take the bus to work, parking is murderous.

people that sits on the freeway usually have to go across town to work, traveling 30miles to work = no less than 1 1/2 hr in the morning & evening.

#40     May 19, 2004