Do most mainstrean brokers have a decent Android application ?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Peternam, Sep 28, 2011.

1. The advantage of the kindle is that it works perfect for outdoor use , no reflections ?

#11     Sep 28, 2011
  2. I don't know an app that supports Windows VPS, I've never used this. I use SSH with Ubuntu. You would either need to create your own VPN or use an SSH server with Windows and tunnel RDP.

#12     Sep 28, 2011
  3. This is true about the Kindle with e-ink screen. I have one of those and it is great for reading outside in the sun. I think this Kindle Fire will have a reflective screen so glare will be an issue with it.

#13     Sep 28, 2011
  4. VNC - you can have it secured. Works well on an iPhone. Absolutely GREAT on a tablet.

Android versions - 3.0 is backward compatible. The OS version that will unify the tablet and phone versions is coming out in a few weeks. DROID Prime should be the first phone on it (Verizon). I would expect most current tablets to get an upgrade. Not so hopeful for the existing phones unless it is one of the very recent high end ones, like Samsung G II or Bionic.

Kindle - you can't really trade on the one with e-Ink. The just announced Kindle Fire will work, but it does not have e-Ink and thus viewing it in sunlight will be just as bad as all other tablets.

#14     Sep 28, 2011
  5. VNC is by design an insecure protocol (no encryption). Yes, you can have passwords but I do not recommend relying on a password for perimeter security of your network and this is a big no, no for good security practices especially with unencrypted protocols. You can buy enterprise software with encrypted VNC but this is expensive when you compare to solutions that just tunnel the existing VNC Protocol in a another secure transport. Programs like Logmein and GoToMyPC add a few extra security features that make it ok as a remote solution but still not ideal. I used Logmein for awhile and there is an app for Android and iOS. Works pretty well and is free for personal use.

#15     Sep 28, 2011
  6. brocklanders, I wasn't referring to password protection. I meant encryption. You can have the session encrypted. At least you can with Real VNC.

#16     Sep 28, 2011
  7. Yes, but you would have to buy a license of their Personal Edition before it is included. It is pretty cheap so I stand corrected. Just don't use the free version and think it is secure.

#17     Sep 28, 2011