Do Markets Change?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Palindrome, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Palindrome

Palindrome

I hear this term all the time, curious what others think...If anyone cares.

Yes... Correlations change, Volatility changes, trends change, price changes etc.

In my opinion most markets simply do the same thing over and over and over again. They make the same patters over and over again. These patters are identical from one market to the next.

I look at charts from 40 years ago, they trade very similar to the way markets trade now.

So I guess another question, do markets move the same way they have always moved?

Perhaps this is a pointless post, but I am curious if others feel the same way I do, because I don't see any difference in the way markets move today vs 20 years ago.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    cafeole, Sprout, tomorton and 2 others like this.
  2. dozu888

dozu888

human nature doesn't change, so the price actions derived from fear and greed don't change much.

but markets have different players today, so certain features do change.

30 years ago you can make a killing with the turtle method... today the CTAs ain't making nothing.

murray t turtle and SimpleMeLike like this.
  3. Maverick1

Maverick1

the market has 1,000 faces... but yes, she does not change

4. Overnight

Overnight

Is this question a joke? Stand by...

5. Palindrome

Palindrome

no, it's an honest question. I guess the answer is obvious then.

6. Overnight

Overnight

Here....How has the NQ changed over the past decade, eh? Study the bloody chart, and ask that question again when you understand what you are seeing. Look at the rate of change over time. Yes, the tech market is very very different in how it behaves now than it was from years past.

nq2.jpg

7. SabreMan

SabreMan

Yes and No, both at the same time.

"The markets are always changing and they are always the same"

8. Always.

9. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

It changes only to the human eye which packages the data in the wrong size box every-time.

greg500 and Sprout like this.
  10. dozu888,

Why doesn't the turtle method make money anymore?

If that method don't make money anymore, why can't we conclude that markets change?.

If I have a trading method that makes money for 1 year and all of sudden stops, that means market change right?

#10     Aug 5, 2018
    greg500 likes this.