Do Illegal Immigrants Actually Hurt the U.S. Economy?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, Feb 12, 2013.

Do Illegal Immigrants Actually Hurt the U.S. Economy?

1. Yes. Although I suppose it depends on what one means by "hurt"

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. No. Although I suppose it depends on what one means by "hurt"

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. I don't know

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. I don't care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yes, but you were replying to my post not the OP's.

#21     Feb 12, 2013
  2. The question is a bit loaded but I voted yes anyway. Aside from what's already been pointed out I would make a few more points.

1) Illegal immigrants come here for work that they can't find in their own nation. So they are taking jobs that Americans could have. I don't really want to hear that "Americans won't take those jobs" because they certainly would if they couldn't have their existence subsidized by the rest of us.

2) Not all problems are financial, illegals don't pledge a damn thing to America, they come here because life is better.. and then they expect us to adapt to their way of life. IF the opportunities which attract them no longer existed, they would leave. The point is they have NO loyalty to our nation. Some may not see this as a problem, but it is. Which brings me to another point.

3) The temporary/worker's visas appear not to be good enough so we are talking about amnesty. Well that is bullshit. here's why, if you grant these people amnesty you now have a substantial portion of people who have NO understanding or respect for our laws being granted citizenship. That gives them a right to vote on things they know nothing about and/or don't respect. To be a LEGAL immigrant here I believe you must pass a test or something to prove you have an understanding of this nation and our govt. That won't happen in the case of amnesty and you will have a voting block of non-Americans helping to shape the future of.. America.

In addition to this, once granted citizenship, illegals will be entitled to the same social programs that are bankrupting the nation. This wasn't the case in the early 1900's when vast numbers of European immigrants came here.

4) Our borders must be secured for obvious reasons, for example terrorist attacks aren't good for the economy. I don't remember how the 9/11 hijackers got here but it is indisputable that drugs/weapons/people cross our southern border, so it should stand to reason that other elements intended only to harm us can (and possibly have) cross over as well.

Bottom line, ILLEGAL immigration weakens our nation and not just economically.. there is literally NOTHING good about it. I have no problem with legal immigration.

#22     Feb 12, 2013
  3. Lucrum

Lucrum

Post of the day.

#23     Feb 12, 2013
  4. Yep, bigarrow is correct. Although I'd say those numbers are off their peak back in the mid-2000's.

#24     Feb 12, 2013
  5. thanks man.

#25     Feb 12, 2013
  6. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

Replying to your post in the context of the thread's theme.

#26     Feb 12, 2013