Do I need an upgraded wireless card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OnClose, Sep 24, 2012.

1. OnClose

OnClose

I'm looking at building a laptop form XoticPc and one of the choices was to upgrade the wireless card. I know absolutely nothing about these things so maybe someone here can steer me in the right direction. The different cards below are what I have to choose from and any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR (SKU - X8R011) Included

Intel® Advanced-N 6235 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module + Bluetooth 4.0+HS Combo Card (Dual Band) (SKU – X8R007) ($30)

Intel® Advanced-N 6205 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module (Dual Band) (SKU - X8R103) ( $35 )

Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 (3x3) (Dual Band) (SKU - X8R052) ( $49 )

Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1202 + Bluetooth 4.0 (Dual Band) (SKU – X8R008) ( $59 )

Intel® Ultimate-N 6300 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module (Includes 3rd Antenna) (Dual Band) (SKU - X8R108) ($69)

Intel® Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 (Multi Band) (SKU – X8R116) ( $ 75 )

Bigfoot Networks Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 (3x3) (Includes 3rd Antenna) (Dual Band) (SKU - X8R053) ( $89 )

2. Anything that has wireless N is good enough for me. And it looks like they all do. The thing is... how fast you laptop can get the throughput to the Internet highly depends on the wifi signal provider. It matters less whether you have the latest and the greatest on your own laptop. If you use it at home, you set up your own router and you have total control. But when you go to a hotel or Starbucks or something, you are at the mercy of the merchants. And most of the time you pray to have a 2 MBit/sec throughput and you would be happy.

3. OnClose

OnClose

Thanks guys, I guess I'll just go with the one that comes with the laptop and if I'm disappointed with it I'll try the USB wifi adapter.

4. hiptogo

hiptogo

Is wireless even reliable enough for any trading platform?

5. OnClose

OnClose

Good point, I guess it depends on what kind of trader you are. I'm a swing trader with long hold times so if my WIFI went down for a little while it wouldn't bother me. But if you're day trader with very short hold times it may not be the best way to go or maybe have a smartphone around as a backup.

6. I'd never recommend it, ever. But... to each his/her own.

Either trade wired or spend the cash to call in your trades and get a verbal confirm. That's my opinion.

That said I'm also talking out of both sides of my mouth because when I was trading I'd adjust stops from my phone all the time.

7. There are two situations.

1) I have been using wireless connections for my computers for over a few years. There were occassional hick ups but most of the time no problem. But I have total control over my set up. I can run a 50-foot RJ-45 wire if I need to.

2) Maybe you are taking your laptop to a Starbucks, or staying in a hotel, or in an airport and trade. Those environments, you have no control. You may get connected with good throughput at first. But somebody comes and sits down next to you and decides play a Netflix streamed movie or something, your bandwidth suddenly sucks!

8. nkhoi

nkhoi

9. Mr_You

Mr_You

Intel is going to have the best drivers. The third antenna is a nice advantage if there are going to be walls between you and your router.

Bluetooth or Wireless can always be added via USB.

#10     Sep 25, 2012