Do I need a new video card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hilojack, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Can you recommend some other Nvidia cards? According to Dell, my mobo can only handle one PCIe card and a PCI card. The cards you recommended are PCIe. Could I use the nvidia geforce fx5200 256 MB pci card with the quadro nvs 285 PCIe card? Doesn't seem to be much on ebay in the <$100 range. Thanks again gnome and others.

#31     Sep 6, 2006
  2. gnome

gnome

You say "according to Dell"... have you looked inside at your mobo? It's likely you have at least 2 PCIE and 2 PCI slots.

The NVS 280 comes in PCI, so you could have that with a PCIEx16... good for 4 monitors.

And yes, you can probably use the fx5200 PCI with the Quadro NVS. CAUTION... If you go this route, make sure you get a Genuine NVidia fx5200, not a 3rd Party... driver conflict can mess you all up.

One more thing... verify before buying that the video cards will support the native resolution of the monitors you intend to run.

Here's an auction for a 285. Be sure to ask about DVI cable being included.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Nvidia-Quad...ryZ40161QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

#32     Sep 6, 2006
  3. I did look in the box and there does appear to be an addition PCIe port. The guy at dell told me it was for something else and that i couldn't put another card into it. I will get the 2 PCIe cards then and disregard what this clown at dell has told me. Now, would anyone like to buy a slightly used ATI radeon x600 PCIe 256MB card from me? Ha! In gnome I trust....

#33     Sep 6, 2006
  4. gnome

gnome

ANY PCIE card that will fit into ANY PCIE slot will work. There is no slot that is "for something else".

Be careful about geting "2 PCIE cards". You probably have only one PCIEx16 slot, and 1 other x4 or x1 slot. If you get 2, x16 cards, you won't be able to mount both of them. However, you can get one x16 card and one x1 OR 1 PCI card.

Currently, there are lots of PCIEx16 video cards, a few TV Tuner x1 cards and few x1 video cards.

#34     Sep 6, 2006