Do I have a case?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by BPtrader, Nov 12, 2009.

1. :D

#51     Nov 14, 2009
  2. PPT, you are a troll and you admit it, you dumb POS loser.

Time to fold up your tent and go home.

LOL.:D

#52     Nov 15, 2009
  3. marketwizards

marketwizards Guest

ET has the ip address of every poster etc. And anyone can see the ip address of anyone posting here. you ip address or computer address can be seen by your broker etc or market maker, there is no privacy on the internet on posting on message boards especially i you are professional trader and have positions. even ip address hiding is useless.

your ip address etc is included in each post.

#53     Nov 15, 2009
  4. What’s funny is that like most gov’t data the number are not calculated and then sitting around long before the announcement. There are a number of variables which go into the calculation of all kinds of data the gov’t provides and to safeguard against the kind of BS the OP was talking about each of those numbers is put into the calculation formula just prior to announcement so the data is not entirely known before its release.
    This thread has to be one of the funniest on ET in a while.

#54     Nov 16, 2009
  5. sjfan

sjfan

This is quite possibly the stupidest thing I've read on ET all day - even worse than the original poster's question

#55     Nov 16, 2009
  6. LOL

#56     Nov 16, 2009
  7. sjfan

sjfan

Do you really think that the various statistical agencies literally wait until the last minute to add and multiply a few lists of numbers together for "secrecy"? I'm fairly sure you have no idea what you are talking about. The key to these statistics is that they are difficult and time consuming to collect, not that there's some "formula".

#57     Nov 16, 2009
  8. Sounds like you misunderstood what I was saying. There is NO mystery on how government statistical data is calculated. In fact the formula needs to be public information because the actual data is meaningless unless it’s known that the sample size etc is consistent each time that data is released. For example take the non-farm payroll number. If they changed the sample size and methods for collecting that data then the month over month and the year over year in addition to the number released at the time is worthless.

On the other hand in all of that statistical data there are variables which are collected each month or quarter or week which make up the final statistical r3elease, The government does for security reasons ( not national security but for data integrity a la leaking the number security) does not tally the data until the number is released.

For example and sticking with the non farms number:
    If the number released is A+B+C+D= Non farm payrolls. A, B,C and D are not totaled until the number is due for release. Granted this is a simple example.
    I believe the EIA’s weekly estimates work the same way as to protect the integrity of the report. I am sure if you feel like scouring their website its on there.

#58     Nov 16, 2009
  9. My personal experience confirms what you said. Most of the reports were written up days before the release time.

It's important to note that even the newest report is about some time period in the past. That's because we spent lots of time collecting data, processing them and writing up a report.

There is no way we can collect fresh information of today for a tomorrow's release. That just doesn't happen in a government bureaucratic system. The only overnight reporting happens in the commercial world where Gallup poll collects TV ratings through their meters attached to your home TV sets.

In my case last week, I went through the inventory report on Tuesday, two days before it was released on Thursday. The report sat on the desk since Tuesday afternoon. Wednesday was the usual release time but it was a holiday (Veterans' Day) last week, so the release time was delayed to Thursday.

#59     Nov 16, 2009
  10. sjfan

sjfan

I think I might be misunderstanding what you are saying. My point is that that final step, A + B + C + D is performed ahead of time as soon as they arrive. There's no additional security from not taking that last step; and moreoever, you'd want to sanity check your numbers that way.

#60     Nov 16, 2009