Do FX brokers share information with the SEC?

Discussion in 'Forex Brokers' started by lolatency, Mar 13, 2009.

1. I'd ask this question at work, but it's clearly not something I want to talk to them about. Because of regulation or employer policies, I have to hold positions for 30 days. I'm not allowed to trade commodities, am a little bit more free on ETFs, yada yada. Do these things apply to FX brokers?

I had an inactive account at another broker, and my employer found out and the compliance officers came after me. Since the account was inactive, I was able to shut it down no problems. Does the same stuff happen for FX? Or is it completely unregulated?

My understanding was that they aren't really regulated. I want to trade and put my math skills to use and not have to contend with these 30-day hold rules and all kinds of BS. These restrictions are annoying me to the point where I'm starting to make plans to leave my job in 6-7 months.

2. wenzi

wenzi

Unregulated, but seriously, ask your compliance officer. That is what he is there for.

3. No reporting or info sharing with any Federal agency.

Careful though if your FX broker also serves other markets (like IB does). If it's solely an FX shop, you're in the clear. If you're really paranoid, then go with an overseas broker.

4. what kind of job are you in where you're not allowed to trade?