Do futures for intraday trading work?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by TTT, Nov 20, 2018.

1. TTT

TTT

In my opinion they do not work because stocks are better.
    They offer more profitability in a day.
    It is easy to detect in the pre-market what will be the stocks with the most potential.
    Futures trading is more dangerous because you must risk more to get less.

2. p0box4

p0box4

Oh no, not again ...

You went from day trading doesn't make sense to day trading futures is easy and now back to day trading with futures doesn't work ...

I think the problem might be with you, not the markets.

VPhantom, jl1575, cafeole and 9 others like this.
  3. maxinger

maxinger

We have already answered that questions numerous times.

schweiz likes this.
  4. imjohn

imjohn

Both work for me. But I prefer index futures. More liquidity, favorable leverage requirements, better tax treatment (US), etc.

I don't pay much attention outside of main US market hours, but.. from 0930EST-1600EST...

ES and SPY move identical
    NQ and QQQ move identical

The vast majority of stocks, on the vast majority of days, move the same as SPY, usually differing only in degrees range.

You lost me here... Huh? Isn't that a function of your trade plan?

TTT likes this.
  5. d08

d08

Let's treat futures as one entity then because it certainly doesn't matter if it's the indexes, gold, oil or interest rates...

VPhantom and Frederick Foresight like this.
  6. It's not a matter of "one vehicle working and another not"... they all work more-or-less to the same degree depending upon the trader's brain.

The ES is the largest equity trading vehicle... ~$200-$500B crosses per day... must be a reason behind it. (And it's NOT because, "it doesn't work".)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  7. TTT

TTT

Of course futures work, however an index will move 1%, 2% and a stock can easily move 4%, 6%, 8%.
    I mean that the benefit-risk ratio is favorable to stocks.
    My question is:
    When one is a beginner in intraday trade, is it not easier to start with stocks?

8. d08

d08

How does that matter at all? If something moves 4% instead of 2%, you just trade half the position size to get the same risk-reward. Basic. Also, index futures can move 4, 6 and 8% as they have before.

VPhantom and TTT like this.
  9. You're right. They just laze around all day drinking beer.

d08 likes this.
  10. 2rosy

2rosy

higher leverage in futures. ES requires $6000 to control about 50 * 2666 = $133300
    you would need ~66000 for spy

#10     Nov 21, 2018