Do folks like TDAmeritrade?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by diggerdan, Feb 2, 2007.

1. skytoast

skytoast

Back in the day Datek/Ameritrade before the TD merger use to have routing via SOES (Small Order Execution System), SuperSOES and Supermontage. These options are no longer available at TD Ameritrade now ever since throwing away the option to route to market makers.

I know the market has undergone changes, new rules, various ECNs merging, etc and such, can someone explain or point me to a website explaining how these are effective in faster execution? Which ones are still in use and which ones are antiquated? Does IB offer any of these and is it really effective against other forms of routing in execution speed (daytrading/scalping)?

Also there is much more transparency using TotalView. Do people really find it more useful when day trading than say standard Level 2 quotes?

#41     Jul 22, 2007
  2. i primarily use IB for trading YM and ZC (ecbot), which only use one book (for each), so the routing is kind of irrelevant for those...

in the case of stocks, i have found their "smart routing" works very well. i am not big on watching L2 in general. i think the edge there has largely dissolved since the days of SOES bandits, etc. because it's all just so much gamesmanship and poker. iow, time/sales are real, offers and bids aren't.

with that in mind, IB does offer the option to route to specific ECN's etc. but at the size i trade, and considering i mostly swingtrade stocks, this really doesn't interest me.

one really nice thing about futures, fwiw is the fact that there is ONE book.

#42     Jul 22, 2007
  3. pjay72

pjay72

To all who are TDAmeritrade members, download and intergrate quotetracker, quotetracker.com, then you can directly route your orders and your execution times and quality should improve!!

#43     Jul 22, 2007
  4. http://www.nasdaqtrader.com/trader/tradingservices/integration.stm

#44     Jul 22, 2007
  5. skytoast

skytoast

Um... right. Trading a TD Ameritrade account via Quotetracker still only lets you "autoroute" or send to two ECNS, NSDQ(INET) or ARCA. You cant route to market makers supermontage etc. It's just another interface to use if you dont like the provided platform software. And I have feeling the speed would be no better than what you get using Streamer or other available methods TD Ameritrade gives you already. So unless you mean you can directly route to just the two ECNs available than I guess. Autoroute which is their "smart routing" is never guaranteed. I've seen it sometimes quickly fill my orders, other times lags way behind and doesnt fill it when I want it to given the price falls within inside bid/ask. It's a hit or miss. So I dont think using Quotetracker improves speed at all.

#45     Jul 22, 2007
  6. SD_SF

SD_SF

They're the absolute worst online broker in my opinion; I've had nothing but problems with them. Their website displays false info and crashes frequently, they cancel transactions without warning, their phone reps are idiots (i.e. they know nothing and are extremely rude), and your personal data is at risk (there have been at least 3 database thefts over the last two years).

#46     Feb 6, 2008
  7. not only do you pay 10.00 a trade, dont you also have to pay for streaming quotes?...GAY!.

#47     Feb 6, 2008
  8. pjay72

pjay72

actually you don't have to pay for streaming quotes. and yes, I'm liking tdameritrade more and more especially strategy desk v2.3 bottom line my account percentage has went up 70% since version 2 came out, holla back at me!

pjay72

#48     Feb 6, 2008
  9. pjay72

pjay72

refer to my earlier quote on quotetracker. I will agree using TDAmeritrade's website is for busters. Using quotetracker with TdAmeritrade is like night and day.

pjay72

#49     Feb 6, 2008
  10. I agree.
    QUOTETRACKER is very impressive.

If you are an Ameritrade customer, you owe it to yourself to check out Jerry Medved's "QuoteTracker".

It's FREE, and has some of the best charting and technical analysis features that I have seen in quite some time!

Meanwhile, TD Ameritrade continues to be one of the TOP 10 NASDAQ (listed) "liquidity-providers" in the business . . .

http://www.nasdaqtrader.com/Trader.aspx?id=topliquidity

#50     Apr 2, 2008