Do ES daytraders fail because they use 2 point stops?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by failed_trad3r, Mar 23, 2010.

1. that video is a gimmick.

i dont need that tool to see the same things

#21     Mar 24, 2010
  2. that tool is just like tradeguider... it shows after the fact.. but i found the claim of 90% with 2 point stop very interesting. Especially since I use to daytrade with fixed 2-point or 3-point stops as newbie.

#22     Mar 25, 2010
  3. yepso

yepso

Agree, it's conjecture. And daggone it anybody that thinks they can make money shorting the bottom of that big red bar should do it, this is America.:D

#23     Mar 25, 2010
  4. Handle123

Handle123

Failure has nothing to do with stop size. Trading unfounded untested methods cause the most losses. Frustration trades are another huge loss and inexperience of not taking a quick loss.

It really comes down to one's backtesting as far as your protective stops. I normally use 6 tics, but as price gets deeper into trend - less. Breakout traders have to risk more usually, whereas retracement traders much less. Much just depends on your methods and duration of one's trades as well.

#24     Mar 26, 2010
    beginner66 likes this.
  5. seanint

seanint

Risk tolerance and risk/reward is what determines an acceptable stop loss, not timing, not method, not back testing. Most traders lose due to over trading and ignorance. Usually ignorance of risk management and under capitalization (greed).

#25     Mar 27, 2010
  6. traderrn

traderrn

A 2 point stop in the middle of nowhere is no use. A 2 point stop which protects you from a critical PA level can be golden.

So it is not the size of the stop, rather the trading strategy and where the stop is, which is relevant.

Remember stop is there to protect your capital and you want to make sure you have good RR and overall positive expectancy for your system. Without these two, even a two tick stop will lead you nowhere.

#26     Mar 27, 2010
  7. kinda doesn't make sense...what about if you use a .50 point stop and are always getting stopped out and commissions are eating you up?...

#27     Mar 27, 2010
  8. I use a smaller stop than 2 pts. You can only do that if you have a disciplined entry strategy. Most traders can't make money with a 2 or 10 point stop. So, it's not the stop size ALONE that makes the difference.

#28     Mar 28, 2010
  9. is that a stop limit or stop market?..entered with a bracket before you enter or after manually?

#29     Mar 28, 2010
  10. limit entries, stop mkt, bracket stop before entry fill....

#30     Mar 28, 2010