Do ES daytraders fail because they use 2 point stops?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by failed_trad3r, Mar 23, 2010.

1. A two point stop last year might seem very tight, but not now.

Now on some sideways days, two points can be a sizeable chunk of the day's range. Unfortunately.

But it always depends on one's trading strategy and expectations.

#11     Mar 24, 2010
  2. djmartin

djmartin

Lets be honest your talking about yourself. where's the video?

#12     Mar 24, 2010
  3. #13     Mar 24, 2010
  4. Great vid.

I think the take away from that is: don't enter positions until you get a pull back. They pointed out how the shorts at the bottom of the move were probably mostly retail (slower and dumber money).

If anything, it isn't saying one should enter a wider stop. That would be allowing the market to start trending against you to build momentum to eventually take out the wide stop.

#14     Mar 24, 2010
  5. what does this statement mean? That you need to increase position size after a losing trade? Or that you need to increase stops with smaller position size??*confused*

thanks

#15     Mar 24, 2010
  6. djmartin

djmartin

#16     Mar 24, 2010
  7. jorgez

jorgez

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Try thinking for a change, you never know you just might learn something
    useful and profitable.

#17     Mar 24, 2010
  8. risky63

risky63

timing is everything..........period.
    with a 2 point stop the average trader can make a trade in the right direction to have it reverse and enable you to exit w/small profit or breakeven.
    bad entry will leave you at the station saying "wtf ....THEY'RE stop hunting me AGAIN."

#18     Mar 24, 2010
  9. ain't that the truth

good post

#19     Mar 24, 2010
  10. rickf

rickf

(x-posted from other thread on stop-running)

I will use a stop loss (or a trail) once the trade is profitable....but to enter a trade with (for example) a fixed or tight stop loss is just looking for trouble in my book. I have learned (painfully) to give the trade time to develop and not be focussed on 'instant profitability.' Otherwise, I just end up paying the broker, and that's no fun. But I agree there may be 'games' done to 'run stops' --- IMHO that's frequently found with tons of long-tailed candles in a row.

That said, I used to have a 5-point ES stop on all trades when I placed the order, which I kept purely for 'catastrophic' purposes if my network or computer crashed ... that's a tip I picked up from the guy who runs the room I trade in. But nowdays, I find myself not even doing that, and prefer to use more 'mental' or 'time-based' (though still mental) stops and manage my trade accordingly based on market conditions.

#20     Mar 24, 2010