Do daytraders profit everyday? Or are they like me: one huge win one day, 10 losses in a row after?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Steven W, Mar 6, 2018.

1. qxr1011

qxr1011

one can look at regularity as one withdrawal in a quarter

#31     Mar 6, 2018
  2. Yeah, I get it. You're the exception.

I should have stated, "for most of us".

#32     Mar 6, 2018
  3. qxr1011

qxr1011

r we talking about me already?

what a miserable habit: trying to switch from discussing the subject to discussing your opponent

#33     Mar 6, 2018
  4. YOU are talking about you, that's for sure.

#34     Mar 6, 2018
  5. qxr1011

qxr1011

good bye

#35     Mar 6, 2018
  6. schweiz

schweiz

Wrong. If you do several trades a day you don't have to be 100% sure. You can recover a loss in another trade the same day. Total profits of the day should be bigger then total losses of the day. That's all.

1. Trading for the bigger moves implies that sometimes you give back a smaller profit and turn it in a loss because you want the big moves, but the big move does not occur.
    2. Trading the big moves is more difficult then making small profits.
    3. The number of winning trades is higher when trading for small profits.
    Because of these 3 things I noticed, my strategy is a follows:
    • I go for the big moves. That's where the real money is made.
    • If I take a loss I switch to the small moves till my loss is recovered.
    • Because my number of winning trades while trading for small profits is much higher, my risk is lower and I recover easily my losses. But in several, smaller profits.
    • If I would continue to trade the big moves and get hit with a second (consecutive) loss, it becomes much more difficult to recover.
    In this way I normally recover all losses within the same trading session, so ending without a losing day. Over 80% of my winning trades are big moves; less then 20% are the "smaller recovery from a loss" moves.

#36     Mar 6, 2018
    Handle123 likes this.
  7. schweiz

schweiz

Just checked for last week: 80% of profits came from 58.88% of my trades.
    So not 20% at all. Had no losses last week, but I think 80% of my losses come from less than 10% of my trades.

#37     Mar 6, 2018
    Handle123 likes this.
  8. Well.... Excuuuuuse Me! (One week?)

#38     Mar 6, 2018
  9. schweiz

schweiz

That's all info I want to share.
    Others weeks, months will be about the same.

I don't believe in KISS, and I know why. That explains also why we have a different opinion. We have different results.

#39     Mar 6, 2018
  10. I suspect that if we gathered data from lots of traders, "80/20" would be more the norm.

#40     Mar 6, 2018