Do daytraders profit everyday? Or are they like me: one huge win one day, 10 losses in a row after?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Steven W, Mar 6, 2018.

1. LukeZen

LukeZen

I only chose those words because I know where this thinking comes from: you can't scalp trade cuz you can't compete against HFT algos.

That statement was repeated way too many times in this forum. So now I read someone who says you need to automate in order to at least survive as a scalper. If that is in the line of thinking that scalping is HFT domain, what good would it make to automate unless you have millions and the resources to compete in that domain.

I began this discussion because I do what most would consider scalping: I take profits from small variations in price, which translates into small time frame trading (in and out) whenever I see the opportunity is there. If you don't want to call that scalping then fine. But in order to not call that scalping, you have to have a definition of what scalping means in the first place, if not then how else would know what scalping is not?

#91     Mar 10, 2018
  2. LukeZen

LukeZen

Oh okay lol, no problem.

#92     Mar 10, 2018
  3. Roderick

Roderick

I think a profits ratio of 1:1 would be reasonably good for any normal hearted person! So, one big gain to wipe out 10 days of loss looks too big to digest for me! Living through the losses for all those days, maintain your composure; there could people like that but that is only for genius.

#93     Mar 11, 2018
  4. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

I mentioned several things that must be used in combo to be able to succeed. Simply, anybody can scalp...that's obvious.

Yet, without the proper variables working together as a team that I've mentioned...you can scalp but you aren't going to be successful at it.

It's just one of those things not really worth debating, you just got to scalp successfully by yourself without one of those variables I've mentioned.

Regardless, I did not say it was all about automation as you seem to be implying. Had I said that or implied it, I would have not mentioned those other variables as a critical component for successful scalping.

Then there's the definition of scalping itself. Here at ET forum, many threads (arguments) about what exactly is scalping and most can not agree on the definition...that too is problematic if retail while its clear cut to professional firms what scalping is to them although they don't use the word scalping.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    #94     Mar 11, 2018
  5. LukeZen

LukeZen

Oh I don't imply you only mean automation is the only component. But you mention that in order to have a chance, automation must be in the ecuation. You state if it is not included then you can't scalp profitably, hence the question.

Ps: is it crossing the spread?

#95     Mar 11, 2018