Do Conservatives Owe Obama A Debt of Gratitude For Ending The Clinton Nightmare?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AAAintheBeltway, Feb 27, 2008.

1. LT701

LT701

that's a very interesting point

obama is not only weaker than gore 2000, he's much weaker than Gore 1988, or Gore 1992 (yes, he ran for president those years)

#11     Feb 27, 2008
  2. Thanks. Frankly I am afraid Obama is even weaker than Dukakis. Dukakis was a governor for more than 10 years, Obama's been a senator for less than 3 years, Dukakis was white, Obama is not, Dukakis's middle name was Stanley, Obama's middle name is Hussein.

#12     Feb 27, 2008
  3. Sorry but I have to disagree. Obama has become a cultural phenomenon. He has transcended politics, at least to a fairly large group of followers. There is a cult aspect to his followers that no other pol has created.

Voters view obama as a cool guy who is also very intelligent and trustworthy. They sense that he does not review the overnight polling data to decide what his core principles are. He has the ability to make complicated issues sound simple. In his world, there is no need to make painful tradeoffs.

I have talked to plenty of young Obama supporters and believe me, they have no idea what the issues are or what his position is on them, nor do they care. if Obama supported the Iraq war, was for cutting the cap gains tax and called global warming nonsense, they would still be crazy about him.

#13     Feb 27, 2008
  4. LT701

LT701

"he does not review the overnight polling data to decide what his core principles are"

that's because he doesnt have any

#14     Feb 27, 2008
  5. donnap

donnap

I have been an independent since the 1980s.

I never thought that Bill Clinton would be nominated. His already tarnished record and untrustworthy appearance made me think that "they will never nominate him."

Once he was nominated, I thought, "political suicide for the Democrats." He's not going to get elected because the American people will see through his BS and won't vote for someone like that.

He went on to be a two- term President.

This showed me that anything can happen and that politics is full of surprises - at least for me it is.

I still can't believe the choices this year. I'd rather see Edwards or any number of moderates as the Dem choice. I thought that the Reps were dead after GWB, but it lookis like the Dems are going to give them a chance.

But what do I know about politics? Not much, I think.

#15     Feb 27, 2008
  6. The problem with Hill, is the same problem most republicans are having at viewing the Obama thing. That is, like many noobies to trading who trade off yesterdays price action, then wonder why the same thing didn't happen today, Hill is fighting the 2004 war.

Things have changed. People are ashamed at themselves for falling for the lies. Conservatives are ashamed at themselves for allowing their hero to backstab them. Most of the country is exhausted from having their “fear” strings pulled. In short, the country wants to get back to comfortability.

Mac offers more of the same. That 100 year war comment of his, for all intents and purposes ended what little chance he had to gain the white house.
    Hills attempt at calling Obam out to the street for a good o'l street fight, ended her chance.

Nobody cares about so called “issues”, they are just tired, ashamed, and want the pain to end. They want to be comfortable again. Obama offers that. And he does it with a sing song cadence in his voice, a straight back, and a smile on his face. A bit Reganistic.

#16     Feb 27, 2008
  7. LT701

LT701

that's a fairly brilliant assesment. because i dont get obama at all, but clearly there's something there, even if there's no 'there' there

as my lobbyist uncle once said 'perception is reality'

the perception of obama, even if his reality is an empty suit, is our reality

anyway, i think you nailed it - people are soooooo sick of what we already have - myself included

but those of us with more rigorous backgrounds are all too aware, that when details are omitted, they either dont exist, or they would be to objectionable to be accepted

and i think it's the latter, because 10s of millions dont drop on someone's head without strings attached

#17     Feb 27, 2008
  8. Most of the country is exhausted from having their “fear” strings pulled. In short, the country wants to get back to comfortability.
    --------------------

I agree. No comprendez how we get back to our comfortability. Shut down the TSA? Bring home the troops? Embrace Islam? Bush did not bring on the fear factor.

After 911, we had lax credit standards to stimulate the economy, well the pendulum swung to far and the feds are out of ammo to stimulate the economy. There aren't any more credit tricks in the bag, and joesixpack is out of money and credit, it should be interesting how this unfolds AND we still have our terrorist threat.

#18     Feb 27, 2008
  9. LT701

LT701

#19     Feb 27, 2008
  10. What is hard to understand? We have close to 8 years of an illiterate moron president who acts like an emperor, and who has trouble with public speaking and makes a mess of the English language, especially when he has to speak extemporaneously.

The hatred for Hillary was not created by Obama, it has been seized upon by Obama. This is a perfect storm situation where people are willing to overlook the genuine negatives in favor of the image that Obama projects...and the fact that he is not a she, and not a Clinton...

The repubs have been focused on stopping Hillary for a long time, even before Obama was known by most Americans, and as soon as the nomination is sewed up for Obama, their political machine will focus on the flaws of Obama and exploiting them...with the same venom, same manipulative tactics, etc. The dumbass dems didn't even consider to look at how hard the repubs were trying to stop Hillary, and asking themselves:

"Why are they so afraid of this woman? Could it be that she would actually try to help the middle class and lower class that the repubs have ignored during the Bush reign?"

But the dems are too stupid to think about what their enemy is doing, who their enemy is afraid of, etc.

We will see the red states, despite their hatred of McCain do what they always do...vote their fears, their bigotry, their loyal klannish mentality, etc.

Obama's hope for a campaign is pretty simple:

Win every state Kerry won, which is very possible, and take Ohio...also possible if the economy continues to falter.

Our elections are not really about determining the quality of the governance that a candidate will bring to the table, they are just popularity contests.

#20     Feb 27, 2008