Do Coincidences Have Meaning?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by oldtime, Dec 2, 2011.

1. jnbadger

jnbadger

And then there's this quote from Moby Dick.:

"Our freedom lies in the struggle to escape what fate's laid down, to make our future for ourselves." - Captain Ahab. (Just happened to catch the newer MD on Showtime the other night)

But we all know how that turned out.

Possibly an excellent example of how the average person wants to think they have total control over their lives, while Melville leads you to believe the quest for your ultimate vengeful victory over something will only end in your own demise.

Sorry. Don't mean to ramble so much. This thread just got me thinking.

#11     Dec 3, 2011
  2. jnbadger

jnbadger

Yeah, no shit. I hear ya.

#12     Dec 3, 2011
  3. right redneck, that was really the question. Is there any value to placing meaning on coincidence? My system is based on the belief that luck is a force which can temporarily be harnessed if you are prepared for it. I know quite a bit about luck, but to me a coincidence or a series of coincidences which all have a positive outcome gives me pause for concern. Should I just let it go as a result all the mathmeticians told me would eventually occur? Or should I stop to consider if maybe there was a cause or some sort of way to predict when it might happen again? Or better yet, is there a way to make it happen again?

#13     Dec 3, 2011
  4. Whatever system you are using you will have winners and losers. The trick – cut loses quick and let winners run. You do this to have the means to stay in the game. Every once in awhile you will hit a gusher just by the fact that you were in the game – luck. Good. But in no way should you get the Big Head and think – “Wow! I have finally figured it all out.”

#14     Dec 4, 2011
  5. tight stops alone will not turn you into a winner. They may at least turn you from a big loser to a slow loser. The good luck gusher can heal a world of mistakes. A senensible approach is to protect yourself from bad luck and try to harness good luck when it comes. But that is just luck. A common name for math. But coincidences are different. A coincidence may take you out of what would have been a very good trade, and yet still somehow delivered the reward from the trade that you were hoping for, even though you didn't know that's what you really wanted.

#15     Dec 4, 2011
  6. oldtime,

For me its all about state of mind....Your not saved because of your condition.

ES

P.S. There is a God.

#16     Dec 4, 2011
  7. Paul Tudor Jones, was a black swan if I've ever seen one.

#17     Dec 5, 2011
  8. The meaning of coincidences is that any person has its own orbit in this life ,like planets have.This orbit is the baggage you've brought with you from previous lives.This orbit will stay with you until you die,but you can improve it,based on the deeds.But first you need to have a 'map',your starting coordinates to know how seriously you messed up and what to do to improve your situation.

#18     Dec 5, 2011
  9. Hey man, that doesn't describe a problem, that describes being human. :)

Without being able to assign some bad stuff to "whatever", we'd be too paralyzed by fear to do anything. Without being able to pat ourselves on the back for what is often just plain dumb luck, we'd be too insecure to follow whatever path is opening up in front of us.

Do coincidences have meaning? Vast majority, none at all, to any given person. They only have "meaning" when for whatever reason we have a personal stake in the result.

I dunno. That's my take on it, for what it's worth.

#19     Dec 5, 2011
  10. #20     Dec 5, 2011