Do Banks Grant 100:1+ Leverage for HNW Clients?

Discussion in 'Forex' started by achilles28, Mar 13, 2006.

1. achilles28

achilles28

2cents,

I see what you mean now.

But if one weren't to abuse high leverage during news/gapping conditions, does this mean banks would be open to granting higher leverage? Or is 33-50:1 pretty much the ceiling for initiation leverage?

#31     Mar 13, 2006
  2. both things are independent... if the banks dont like what you do, you'll know soon enough anyway... really gotta go sorry

#32     Mar 13, 2006
  3. achilles28

achilles28

Please don't stay on my account!! Thanks for answering my questions!

:)

#33     Mar 13, 2006
  4. tomcole

tomcole

achiulles-- To reply to your earlier comment -- Yes, I am pretty familiar with how Tier 1 banks/dealers operate and can guarantee you they dont want to offer real leverage to folks without money. They also know specs, like you, routinely walk away from losses, so, why bother?

Maybe you should call up GS, and ask them for an account and see what they say.

#34     Mar 14, 2006
  5. achilles28

achilles28

Did I say something that offended you Tom? Or are you always this miserable?

#35     Mar 14, 2006
  6. tomcole

tomcole

People have given you sveral names who to talk to, yet, you keep asking the same question. Why don't you simply go ask these firms yourself? You need to show your financial data, and I'm sure they'll respond to you quickly.

Why don't ou do some legwork and let us know what they say and if we're right in whats been said here.

#36     Mar 15, 2006
  7. achilles28

achilles28

This is a discussion board - intended for DISCUSSION.

I could search the boards, call the firms, or simply ask the question.

What do you care?

If you don't appreciate how im conducting myself, then don't participate in the discussion. You will be sorely missed.

#37     Mar 15, 2006
  8. tomcole

tomcole

Heres a very common solution offered to folks who call up large trading banks and say what you do.

Bank: OK, we believe everything you say. Now, why dont you prove it and deposit the US$ 10.0 million, 20 etc that you want to use as margin and we'll sign this offset form so if you lose we dont lose.

Pretend client: How much leverage will you give me?

Bank: Make the deposit and we'll talk. If you dont like our deal, we'll wire the money back out the same day.

Pretend client: Oh, ahh, well, its all invested in super-secret things, I cant disclose, I'll call you back. <click>

Banks have seen this game for decades and dont really care. Real customers show up, make deposits and agree to terms which are in the banks favor. If you deposit, say 1 million at 100:1 margin, you want to trade 50-100 bucks on a qoute right? Never leave orders and simply act as a pickpocket to the banks P&L - until you blow up, then its the bank's fault. The bank isnt an ATM for you and will let you know quickly. I think you'll find as your deposit increases, your leverage decreases,eg, a $10million depo will not allow you trade 500 bucks on a qoute.

Another solution is to simply use a non-delivery account where your deposit, is your cushion against losses and if you wind down to 1mill from 10, the bank stops you out on all your positions.

But if you want to be treated as a bonafide bank, set one up, invest in staff, equipment etc and be prepared to offer liquidity to other banks. So when JPM calls you and asks for cable in 20, be prepared to qoute them, know they're probably asking 20 other banks and probably have an order so, execution is more important than price. You prepared to do that?

But probably the best thing you could do for yourself, is go buy Marcia Stigum's book "The Money Market" and you will have a resource for years to come. (And not ask endless questions here.)

#38     Mar 15, 2006
  9. achilles28

achilles28

Thanks, Tom. I appreciate you taking the time to detail something I otherwise wouldn't be privy too.

And you're right. I don't have 10 mill - or A mil lying around - to get answers to my questions. Thats why I ask them here.

Apparently asking questions gets results.

Seriously, thanks. :)

#39     Mar 16, 2006
  10. things have changed, $1mio or perhaps even less will get you an account with RBS, UBS notably, but not the 100:1 leverage... not until 3-6 months ago... now like everything else, that may change too... achilles let us know what you find out plse... cheers (am traveling therefore wont be replying until...)

#40     Mar 16, 2006