Do Banks Grant 100:1+ Leverage for HNW Clients?

Discussion in 'Forex Trading' started by achilles28, Mar 13, 2006.

1. achilles28

I've talked to a few supposed higher ups working interbank who've conveyed banks will customize leverage to fit client needs. This includes granting leverage up and beyond 100:1.

Can anyone speak to this?
  2. What do you need 100:1 leverage for? leverage kills!
  3. Sure, and so does the CME. The majors on CME are >100:1 leverage.
  4. achilles28

Common misnomer.

Leverage doesn't kill. IMPROPERLY used leverage kills.

Your % risk per trade provides a rough approximation of max loss - assuming you don't trade in or around numbers.

All leverage does is make available more capital to trade with.

Low leverage isn't going to save a losing strategy. It just ensures a slower death.
  5. achilles28

Thanks, riskarb.

Does it require any arm twisting or will banks just give the nod if higher leverage is requested?
  6. tomcole

How does a nobody twist the arm of a major bank?

The only reason you're chasing high leverage deals is you dont have any money, and banks dont like folks without money.
  7. alanm

Or you have a low-variance, low-yield strategy that requires a lot of leverage to yield worthwhile gains.

It's all about using the amount of leverage appropriate for the risk.
  8. they dont... 33:1 for starters (3%), then after a few mths they may try to give u 50:1 but that has to go thru whatever committees who normally have better things to do... note: there is a big push from the banks to weed out 'aggressive' trading... typically characterized by use of high leverage... that said, you may still find a bank willing to give u 100:1... nothing's ever impossible
  9. achilles28

Arm twisting = longer negotiations than usual.

I'm using colloquial dialogue here, Tomcole. I guess your impeccable analysis missed that? lol.

The rest of your post is drivel. Have you ever worked for a bank forex dept? Or enjoyed direct contact with those who had?

If not, then why are you posting??

Thanks Tomcole, but I don't need anymore of your 'altruistic generosity'.
  10. achilles28

Leverage proportionate to risk was already discussed. By me. So thanks for 'coming down' to my level and telling me what i already know...

#10     Mar 13, 2006