Do any platforms let you enter a trend-line trade?

Discussion in 'Order Execution' started by bobjr, Jan 12, 2009.

1. bobjr

bobjr

I've been trying to find a trading platform that allows you to enter a trade on a vector-- i.e., by drawing a line on the chart, so that the price of the stop or limit order will change over time at a rate given by the line's slope.

This seems like a feature that is fairly easy for a desktop-running platform to incorporate, but I have not found one that has it yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. I don't know of any but that would be a really flippin sweet feature. Sorry I couldn't be even remotely helpful.

3. I don’t know of any software that has that capability hard coded into it already, the next place to look would be to look at charting software with add-in scripting languages. eSignal Forumla Script is capable of doing that, you would have to code it yourself, but the necessities are there... like drawing the line, detecting where price is relevant to the line, and submitting an order if eSignal integrates with your broker. TradeStation’s easy language might be capable of doing that too, but I don’t know easy language so I cant confirm that.

4. You could probably code it into Ninja Trader, but why would you want to do it.
    The whole idea is to make money.

regards
    f9

5. You can do it in QuoteTracker

6. Multicharts can read hand drawn objects into the strategy. Ninja cannot do that. With Ninja you would have to have the strategy do the drawing, not easy sometimes...

7. Please explain.

AFAIK there is no script language in QT.

8. You can set a trendline alert, but as far as I know you can't trigger a trade with it.

9. Alegnus

Alegnus

In Tradestation, you can hand draw a line on a chart and have an order executed based on price crossing the line you drew. You can enter three lines of different color for entry, stoploss, and profit target. The code is readily available on their forum if you have access to it.
    https://www.tradestation.com/Discussions/Topic.aspx?Topic_ID=5863

Good Luck.

#10     Jan 14, 2009