do any of you echo Soros, Gates and Buffett's trades

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ElectricSavant, Nov 18, 2006.

1. I completly agree that a trader could dominate me in total return in the same stock over a given amount of time, but in my little world and with my low risk approach I can only watch so much in any given trading session....To be completely honest I have recently just been watching sectors currently and when they show weakness I sell almost all of the stocks I have in that sector and when it shows strength I buy the few stocks in those sectors that I like.....Regardless of setups.....Tech back on 7/17 and 7/21 was golden....If you only knew how many tech positions I opened up around those days....

$COSTAverageMAN

#11     Nov 18, 2006
  2. I do not know how a short term trader could ignore long term bias...but i am new to this reality and learned that i have tried to paddle upstream far to much in my day's...

the marriage of investors and short term traders is on the horizon in the efficiency that the markets present and the shrinking range that automation brings...just my opinion though..

#12     Nov 18, 2006
  3. S2007S

S2007S

of course that looks great now, but back in July everything still looked like it was headed down...What if November 17th was the day to short tech when looking back on this week in Feb or Mar of 2007 saying selling then was a great thing to do....its very hard to pick these exact setups. Many are questioning where the top is, its really anyones guess.

#13     Nov 18, 2006
  4. unfortunately, lots of times even the big boys get it wrong andy ou just end up following them off the cliff :D

#14     Nov 19, 2006
  5. Michael:

If you really do want to know more about true investors (as opposed to speculators) like Buffett, you should take the time to read Jason Zweigs new book, which is a revised edition of Benjamin Graham's "Intelligent Investor".

You may or may not know that Buffett was a student of Professor Graham in college, and also worked for Graham. If I remember correctly Graham gave Buffett his first job.

Here is a link that might help.

http://www.jasonzweig.com/book.html

Good luck,

Steve

#15     Nov 19, 2006
  6. billp

billp

Very useful. Thanks

#16     Nov 20, 2006
  7. thanks a lot for the reference to check 13f-hr reports. here's a link without popups.

http://www.sec.gov/edgar.shtml

now I've just quickly looked at these reports, but how do you like to use this information? They show existing positions, but how do you extrapolate future moves from this? furthermore, what specific funds do you like as far as management style is concerned?

#17     Nov 21, 2006
  8. I wouldn't consider Gates a good investor. He got lucky with MSFT.

#18     Nov 21, 2006