DNS problems

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by voodoo_invest, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Today (17th of October) at around 6 am EST was probably the third time this month I could not access Elite Trader because of DNS problems. Other sites worked fine, but trying to access this site I got the standard 'cannot find server or dns error' message. I changed the dns server settings, then used windows version of nslookup to find the ip numbers on several dns servers including the ones listed in elitetrader.com whois information, and got WSAHOST_NOT_FOUND. Am I the only one having this problem?

voodoo

2. I haven't seen the problem, but you can just stick Elite in your hosts file and circumvent the DNS servers altogether.

JTWS has done the same on one of my computers, but not the other (have no idea why)

3. Magna

Magna Administrator

Nice voting options. Hmmm, lemme see, pink lace underwear... :)

4. Baron

Baron ET Founder

I have not received any other DNS-related complaints. Since you are going through your ISP's DNS servers, it's possible that there is a problem on their end end. Don't know for sure of course. I'm just speculating as to what would cause you to be the only one experiencing a problem.

5. hehehe, Magna, lol, and that was a nice job editing your post. :)
    Those who didn't see the original version and the change, please ignore.

voodoo

ps. I don't know much about dns, but as I said I used nslookup to check if other dns servers would give me the ip. Among others I used the dns servers in elitetrader.com whois entry.

Query: elitetrader.com
    Registry: whois.networksolutions.com
    NS1.CNIWEB.NET 208.218.214.4
    NS2.CNIWEB.NET 208.218.214.6
    NS3.CNIWEB.NET 208.218.214.44

Either that query didn't work properly and the program used my isp's dns servers, or depending on how dns works it was either something on your end or a problem that got propagated thru out the whole dns network.

Any networking gurus here? Is there a copy of every domain name and the corresponding address on every dns server on the planet, or does my server just check the tld, then asks some other server for the domain and the dns server with the host info, then asks that server for the host (www) info?

This always happened around 4 or 5 am EST, and lasted for a few hours.

Anyway, if no one is having problems with it, nevermind, if it happens again I'll contact my isp.

voodoo

6. Magna

Magna Administrator

voodoo,

hehehe, Magna, lol, and that was a nice job editing your post.

Y'know, I stared at it for awhile, left it alone, went back and stared at it again, left it alone, finally decided some folks might take it wrong. :)