DMI/ADX consistently works

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by nyc-hotshot, Aug 22, 2003.

1. sumosam

sumosam

I am confused as to why you would trade in the direction of the bottom indicator i.e. red or green.

I use ADX/DMI and have understood that whichever DMI+ or DMI- is on top, is the direction of the trend, and price action bears this out.

Also, you did not mention at what point the ADX must be at to consider a new trend ie. 20? 25?

Look forward to your input I have just started using the indicator about a year ago.

#351     Dec 20, 2007
  2. chpok

chpok

Happy New Year everybody!

I think it is my first post. But anyway here is the thing. I spotted ADX some time ago that it is a good indicator and currently trying to test it in excel. Anyone has a forumla for it by any chance?

Thanks

#352     Jan 1, 2008
  3. Dr. Charles Schaap's book "ADXcellence" is the reference manual for ADX/DMI.

#353     Feb 5, 2008
  4. Please stop with the dumb shit. Thanks.

#354     Feb 5, 2008
  5. hasina

hasina

Hi..

In your post you stated that..

Whenwhite (ADX) crosses the other lines and is at the top and green (MDI) is at the bottom (red in the middle), it's a buy. White on top red (PDI) on the bottom (green in the middle), it's a sell.

what about if the adx is in the middle? like for example...

the (PDI) red is at the bottom, the MDI (green) is at the top and the adx is rising in the middle it is a call to sell...will you enter the trade?

thank you..

#355     Feb 5, 2008
  6. hasina

hasina

Hi..

In your post you stated that..

Whenwhite (ADX) crosses the other lines and is at the top and green (MDI) is at the bottom (red in the middle), it's a buy. White on top red (PDI) on the bottom (green in the middle), it's a sell.

what about if the adx is in the middle? like for example...

the (PDI) red is at the bottom, the MDI (green) is at the top and the adx is rising in the middle it is a call to sell...will you enter the trade?

thank you..

#356     Feb 7, 2008
  7. bjbriggs

bjbriggs

Hey there nyc-hotshot

Do you use this indicator on multiple time frames?

#357     Jul 3, 2008
  8. cowcool

cowcool

I am studying the ADX/DMI. So far it is one of the best indicator out there . However, there are many buy/sell signal noise on 1-5 mins chart.

In 1 - 5 mins chart, the movement of DI+ and DI- change too often in very quick time , making it hard to predict the next momentum.

Does this happen too on higher time frame too ? (30 mins and up)

Thx

#358     May 29, 2009
  9. Depends on your settings. For instance - if your setting is 20 on a 5 minute chart you're basiscally viewing the 5 minute trend over a one hour period. Just remember - a DMI cross is a good entry signal but a horrible exit signal.

#359     May 29, 2009
  10. cowcool

cowcool

My exit is when DI+/- fall below ADX (assuming DI+/- rising above ADX) AND declining ADX .

#360     May 29, 2009