DMI/ADX consistently works

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by nyc-hotshot, Aug 22, 2003.

1. it means the same trend has regained it's strength, right ?

thank you.

#341     Jul 29, 2007
  2. Abuelo

Abuelo

NYC- Hotshot .... Understand your beginning posts about your setup and use of ADX/DMI. But (yes there's always a "but") what action are you taking (and when) when you're in a trade and the ADX Line drops below either or both the PDI/NDI but the dominant DI retains that position.

Guess what I'm asking is while I understand how and when you decide to long or short, how do you make your exit decision?

Sorry if this has been covered before but if so I failed to see it after reading thru the posts.

Thanks.
    Abuelo
    ADX/DMI user

#342     Aug 31, 2007
  3. I have played around with the DMI, ADX various ways. Here is the Tradestation code for taking the % of moves divided by total moves.

[LegacyColorValue = true];

inputs:
    Length( 14),
    ADXTrend( 25),
    Smooth(1),
    Overbought(.60),
    Oversold(-.60);

variables:
    oDMIPlus( 0 ),
    oDMIMinus( 0 ),
    oDMI( 0 ),
    oADX( 0 ),
    oADXR( 0 ),
    oVolty( 0 ) ;

Value1 = DirMovement( H, L, C, Length, oDMIPlus, oDMIMinus, oDMI, oADX, oADXR,
    oVolty ) ;

Plot1( (oDMIPlus-oDMIMinus)/(oDMIMinus+oDMIPlus), "Ratio" ) ;
    Plot2(xaverage(plot1,smooth), "A");
    Plot3(Overbought,"OB");
    Plot4(oversold,"OS");

60% up or 60% down tends to give extremes.

The smoothing part is just to outline the indicator as a histogram.

John

#343     Sep 1, 2007
  4. I read through this post a couple of times now through the years that I've been here. If you combine the DMI (8) with ADX (8)
    with one of our favorite indicators the MACD Histogram (everyone seems to have their own favorite settings for the macd histogram).

These two indicators the ADX and the MACD Histogram seem to be nailing the moves.

I trade the (YM) futures market (mini dow) both long and short. These are the only two indicators that I use. And I am making a profit.

Hope this helps someone!!!

snarlyjack

#344     Sep 4, 2007
  5. Great Job...keep it simple is a smart approach!

I only use two indicators myself (MACD and STOCH...set at felton trading settings) and I find that on lower tick chart time frames I am getting excellent entries for scalping all day long.

#345     Sep 4, 2007
  6. Hi TradEStar -

Just curious what size of tick charts you use (I assume for the ES).

Thanks.

Sandy

#346     Sep 6, 2007
  7. I use 89, 144, and 233 price change (or tick) charts for the ER2, ES, NQ, YM, or DAX...same charts for all these different contracts.

I also watch a three minute and a 15 minute in the background to watch the key s/r levels for the day.

#347     Sep 6, 2007
  8. Licatou

Licatou

mikehbeck808:

I read your Ensign DYO for replacing NYC-HotShot ADX. It is very interesting that you finally discovered the truth of NYC-HotShot story. As I am not good for programming, do you have an idea on how to plot ADX and ADXR on the same subwindow in Ensign by using its DYO (I am an user of Ensign)?

#348     Dec 17, 2007
  9. Licatou

Licatou

mikehbeck808:

I just tried to do with your attached DYO in Ensign. It did not show anything of DX on the screen. Did you try to repeat it in the newest version ?

#349     Dec 17, 2007
  10. Quint

Quint

Thank you for that piece!!

#350     Dec 20, 2007