DJIA vs DIA candle chart different

Discussion in 'ETFs' started by NoEmotions, Apr 19, 2012.

1. The DJIA does include the effect of dividends.

How would an index calculation ignore the ex-dividends of the component stocks?

#11     Apr 22, 2012
  2. The DJIA is an artificial construct and not tradeable. The DJIA relects the last traded price of the 30 component stocks. The last trade could have been at or on either side of the component's current bids and offers. If you buy the 30 component socks you will be buying at or near the current offers. If you sell the 30 component socks you will be selling at or near the current bids. Either buying or selling all 30 component stocks you will be away from the last DJIA quoted number.

The DIA and YM futures are the trading vehicles for the DJIA. Index arbitrage keeps both of them in line with the DJIA during regular stock trading hours. Any differences between DIA/YM and the DJIA are due to noise created by the trading reality of very short term buy/sell demand pressures.

#12     Apr 22, 2012
  3. DJIA is a price weighted index.

#13     Apr 22, 2012
  4. clacy

clacy

Notice I was talking about DIA

#14     Apr 22, 2012
  5. Of course I noticed that you were talking about DIA.

I politely pointed out that you provided incorrect information and yet you insist on being ignorant.

In order to match the DJIA the DIA is also price weighted.

Just look at the "Fund Top Holdings":

https://www.spdrs.com/product/fund.seam?ticker=dia

6,667,290 shares of each component stock.

#15     Apr 22, 2012
  6. clacy

clacy

You are correct. I guess the point I wast trying to make is that DIA is not an equal weight ETF.

I'm not aware of an equal weight etf for the DJIA

#16     Apr 22, 2012
  7. A comment on RSP, yes is equal weighted vs SPY but check the management fee of RSP (.40%) vs SPY (.09%, the lowest in the business).

#17     Apr 22, 2012
  8. ================
    No Emotions;
    You may not believe this but DIA is much more accurate,
    it includes '' Emotions''. DJIA includes ''No emotions''/no comissions'/no slippage.................................' As if anyone can trade with no emotions/no slippage/no comissions:D

Paul Tudor Jones did something like that;
    but not really applicable to your question/volume/situation.

Many of the DOW S&P indexes ;
    dont even have volume, that maybe a clue also:cool:And as a helpful hint technical analysis is defined as study of price AND volume.................................................................................

#18     Apr 26, 2012
  9. thx all fpr replay...

For daytrading...
    The reason I like DJIA candlestick chart is because of less noise....
    I thought if I can reproduce price candlesticks of DJIA with some instruments then I can take advantage of less noise to apply even tighter stop losses.
    With DIA, e-mini dow etc.. noise is a very vital component which forces me to put little larger stops.

#19     Apr 27, 2012
  10. stoic

stoic

The DJIA is calculated by adding up the last price of each component then divide by 0.1321749

#20     Apr 30, 2012