Dividends

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Vinny1, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Anyone know of a site that lists most,if not all,stocks that pay dividends and its current dividend yield?It might be easier than looking at each stock individually to see what it's yielding.If anyone is interested,i know of 2 stocks that are currently paying great dividends.AXA with an annual dividend yield of 8.2% and GWL with an annual yield of 6.91%,based on current prices.

2. Eldredge

Eldredge

I don't know of a sight that lists dividends for all sights, but I have been looking for a sight that would give dividends and ex-dividend dates for the Nasdaq 100. Anyone know of such a sight? Thanks for any help.

3. http://www.companyboardroom.com/highlight.asp?client=cb.

4. SamW

SamW

5. buying stocks for dividends is not a good short term strategy. it is true that over enough time you will get your money back with dividends but in the short term you have to overcome market volatility first. buying stocks for dividends is similar to selling covered calls. you are hoping that the income you receive will be more than the possible decline in the stock price. most stocks pay less than 5% dividend. stocks can move that much in a single day. besides they reduce the price of the stock by the amount of the dividend paid so its a wash in the short term. you still have to make stock selection you main focus not the dividend.

6. The payment of a dividend is a neutral event, since the stock price will open lower, by the dividend amount, on the ex-date.

However, stocks are traded by human beings. And human beings like to "get in" before the dividend. A lot of newbies trading stocks don't understand how the ex-date works. I swear, on Yahoo forums, *every* dividend cycle, you can see people asking "when must I buy to get the dividend??"

Therefore, stocks which pay a decent dividend (I'd say over 2.5%) show some slight upward pressure before the ex-date.

It can be profitable to buy a few weeks before the ex-date, and sell before ever getting the dividend, if you scalped enough on the stock... :cool:

The reverse is true as well, stocks can drop by more than the dividend amount on the ex-date, if it is weak, because people were "waiting around" for the dividend. Short those!

So, think of it kind of like the "stock split" effect. There is no mathematical benefit in buying a stock before a split. But people still get excited about splits, ("Ooooo! I have twice the shares!") and will buy stocks before the split date. It's just "buzz" for the crowd...

I wouldn't mind at all seeing dividends become tax free... Not so much to GET the dividends, as much as to see the general public chase them. It would generate more interest in div-paying stocks, and make them easier to swing trade based upon this crowd effect.

7. ptt

ptt

I have several ETFs that pay over 8-10% in an IRA account. They are a little volatile, but these are investments. If you want to buy these wait and buy them on a dip. Energies - NCN, ERF, Utilities - DNP, bonds-FAX. They have performed well over the last couple years.

Has anyone looked at buying a high yielding stock, and hedging with LEAP puts, and just letting dividends accumulate. This might work OK in an IRA.

I would work into these positions on swings.

8. Yahoo finance stock screener is the quick and easy way to screen for dividends.

You can even sort the results by yield.

9. Can you post a link to this?

10. here is a funny story about buying stocks for dividends. when all this dividend hype started cramer was one of the biggest hypsters about buying dividend stocks. he decided to start a newsletter on the streetcom called save safe plan. they put in stocks like jpm ek that were supposedly safe stocks with good dividends right at their short term highs. within days these stocks in the portfolio were down a years worth of dividends. when you make pennies and lose dollars it don't work so good.

#10     Mar 7, 2003