Dividend payouts, how do they affect Futures Prices?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by insight, Jan 4, 2006.

1. insight

insight

I have a question regarding the effect of dividend payouts on a stock market index.

If a certain day has a large number of companies going ex-dividend does this whack the futures price to any degree?

2. Chagi

Chagi

I can only comment on this in theory rather than in practice, but from a textbook perspective going ex-dividend should actually increase a futures price rather than decrease it, because you are subtracting the income. But the price of the underlying decreases, so hmmmmm.....

I think the answer is that the futures price is roughly unchanged?

Here are a couple of formulas for you from my risk management text:

Futures price of a stock index

F = S*e^[(r-q)t]

Another somewhat similar way of looking at this would be the forward price of something with income:

F = (S-I)e^(rt)

So by decreasing "q" you are increasing the futures price, but when underlying goes ex-dividend, S should decrease....

In the above, F is the future/forward price, I is income, q is yield, t is time in years, r is risk-free rate (which is continuously compounded in this case).

3. insight

insight

Excellent reply, thanks :)

4. Chagi

Chagi

No problem, but I would like to see some further discussion/opinions regarding this.

5. Just my offhand guess (as a CFA, I'm 'sposed to know this):

The payouts shouldn't affect the futures price, but the stocks will drop, NARROWING THE SPREAD between the futures and the cash index.