Diversification good or bad?

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by oraclewizard77, Jan 22, 2009.

Diversification is the holy grail.

Poll closed Feb 1, 2009.
  1. Stay Diversified

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Concentrate your portfolio in just a few stocks.

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Stay with Cramer

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Way too many polls here on ET

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. %%
    Sounds about right;
    average of yours =7/ETFs.[IF i kept getting margin calls like one poster noted recently\ i would KNOW\ too much leverage\borrowing + not enough study + diversification................................................................................................]

#171     Sep 20, 2021
  2. Putting all my money is one asset with ruin my peace of mind. It gets worse especially if you have anxiety. So I will not go for a concentrated portfolio.

#172     Sep 21, 2021
  3. Never put all your eggs in one basket
    Diversification is one of the most important things towards financial freedom.

#173     Sep 29, 2021
  4. deaddog

deaddog

I agree if you are talking asset classes; Equities, commodities, fixed income, real estate, etc.

If you are referring to stocks, the majority of them fall in a bear market. A well diversified stock portfolio is still going to tank in a bear market.

#174     Sep 29, 2021
  5. Well yes that's risk you take
    if you look at long term holding you get paid out by dividends as well as % growth in stocks
    and a bear market or a crash can make your portfolio bleed.

#175     Sep 29, 2021
  6. deaddog

deaddog

So doesn't it stand to reason that to control that risk you have a method of being out of the market when it falls?

#176     Sep 29, 2021
  7. noframe

noframe

Strongly agree with this famous quote. Diversification really helps in minimizing risk of the capital loss.

#177     Oct 7, 2021
    Raheel Shaikh likes this.
  8. koczeau

koczeau

It’s always effective to spread your capital so that you are not reliant upon a single trade for all your returns, but there’s another important truth about diversification, that whenever you are mitigating your risk you are also reducing the potential returns.

#178     Oct 8, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.
  9. jocrape

jocrape

Diversification helps to reduce the amount of risk you’re exposed to while trying to maximise your returns, but I also think that diversification can be cumbersome. This is because it is not easy to manage a diverse portfolio with multiple holdings.

#179     Oct 13, 2021
  10. Diversification is a useful way to mitigate the risk of huge losses and increasing the chances of survival in the market. To get maximum benefit out of your diversified portfolio, you should actively monitor and track price movements. It can better be done if you have a small portfolio with 4-5 instruments only.

#180     Oct 14, 2021
    murray t turtle likes this.